Friday, December 30, 2016

Back-to-the-Classics Challenge 2017


Yep, trying this again.  And not just six categories - because I barely read five in 2016 - but, no!  I'm going for all twelve.

A 19th Century classic: The Diary of a Madman by Nikolai Gogol (1835)



Classic in translation:  The Peloponnesian War by Thucydides (Greek)

Classic published before 1800: The Histories by Herodotus (425 BC)

Romance classic: Emma by Jane Austen (a misconstrued romance)

Gothic classic: Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Classic with a number in the title: One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Classic which includes the name of an animal in the title: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (reread)

Classic set in a place you'd like to visit: This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald (New York)

An award winning classic: Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway (Pulitzer Prize for fiction) (reread)

Russian classic: The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky 

12 comments:

  1. You just couldn't resist, could you? ;-) I can't WAIT to hear what you make of Wuthering Heights! Good for you for trying Fitzgerald and Hemingway ..... not my favourite writers although I did enjoy The Old Man and the Sea. Best of luck with this challenge. I read 10 books for it this year and I hope to make it to all 12 this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't.

      WH is like my most resisted book, and I don't know why. And I'm reading Old Man with my kids for school. I don't know why I have such high expectations with Fitzgerald.

      BTW, if you notice, I plan to read To Kill a Mockingbird (in June). So if you want to join me ...

      Delete
  2. Great list of classics.... Diary of a Madman looks good!
    It's going to be a challenging reading year 2107!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this challenge. I might consider taking it on too. Some classics tend to be really thick, but cutting it down to 12, or 1 per month, might make it fun and manageable. I wish I'd latched onto your Little House challenge earlier, toward the start, but only recently stumbled on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could also cut down the challenge to 6 categories for the year. I tried to do that last year, but I had too much on my plate and didn't make it. You can always do the Little House this year. It's one book every month. I may revisit it in a few years because I cannot imagine a year without reading that series.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I love it too. It's been about 5 or 6 year for me now. Long enough, I think :)

      Delete
  4. The first time reading this, I thought PARADISE was the place you wanted to visit... :) Nice choices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your choices, and can I say, I'm kind of in love with your font! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do love this font, but it has some problems. For example, the punctuation is set too close together and exclamation points look like the letter "l," so I have to be careful when I use it. I even change it to a different font, so as not to confuse the reader.

      Delete
  6. This portion of the paper is similar to an overview of organization's website like MasterGrades, together with different information you may have found from different sources. Writing a research paper about a non-profit organization permits you the opportunity to incorporate a number of evidence and perspectives.

    ReplyDelete