Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 Bookish Personalities


Since the start of this blog, I have made it a habit to assign personalities to the books I have read throughout the year.  It coincides with the approximate beginning of this blog, January 1st, marking another year of my reading and writing journey, which has only been three short years.  So, Happy Birthday, Blog, and Happy New Year to everyone else!

Following is a list of most of the books I have read in 2014.  Each has been assigned a personality. These opinions may change over time, and probably will as I reread them.  For now, though, it is just a fun way to remember my initial perspective after reading each classic.

And the bookish personalities of 2014 are...

Most Amazing Epic Story to Leave Me Speechless (for a hours, at least)
Gone With the Wind - Mitchell

Most Likely to be a Frida Khalo Painting
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Marquez

Longest Time It Took to (Sort of) Win Over This Reader...in the Final Chapter 
If on a winter's night a traveler - Calvino

Best Eighties Throwback Theme
White Noise - DeLillo

Best All-Around Literature, Literally
Possession - Byatt

Most Beautiful Spiritual Journey to the Discovery of Truth
The Confessions - Augustine 

Most Likely the Reason Churches Have Cry-Rooms
The Book of Margery Kempe

Most Likely Author to Have Insomnia
Essays - Montaigne

Most Complex Plot With No Loose Ends
Great Expectations - Dickens

Most Bizarre, Satirical Story (But Nonetheless Entertaining)
Candide - Voltaire

Most Likely to Get Mental Whiplash While Reading
Germinal - Zola

Best Medieval Harlequin Romance Novel, Only Better
(I have never read Harlequin novels.  Ever.)
Arthurian Romances - Chretien

Best Weaver of Words
The Age of Innocence - Wharton

Most Redeeming Reread
The Old Man and the Sea - Hemingway

Most Likely Author to Have Enjoyed Himself Thoroughly 
While Writing and Illustrating These Texts
The Story of Sir Launcelot and His Companions - Pyle
The Story of the Grail and the Passing of Arthur - Pyle

Most Blasphemously Ridden Text
(or...)  Best Sarcastic, Ironic, Hysterical Story With an Innocent Moral
The Catcher in the Rye - Salinger

Most Likely Author to Be Misunderstood
Slaughterhouse-Five - Vonnegut

Best (or Worst) Attempt to Rewrite History
The History of the Kings of Britain - Geoffrey of Monmouth

Most Likely the Standard for Good Literature
Little Women - Alcott

Best Example of Poorly Planned, Disastrous Expeditions
(But I don't entirely blame Columbus)
The Four Voyages - Columbus

Best Transparent View of the Birth and Foundation of America
(The United States, that is.)
Of Plymouth Plantation - Bradford

Best Example of a Well-Planned, Successful Expedition
The Journals of Lewis and Clark 

Most Spiritually Challenging
The Life of Saint Teresa of Avila by Herself 

(I can't think...pun intended)
Meditations - Descartes

Most Pleasant Story About the Human Experience
My √Āntonia - Cather

Second Most Amazing Epic Story to Leave Me Speechless
(I just finished it days ago.)
War & Peace - Tolstoy
For previous personality awards:
2013 Awards
2012 Awards, part II
2012 Awards, part I

Everyone's reading journey is different.  Which personalities would you assign your favorite reads from 2014?

13 comments:

  1. In which I adore that you adore Gone with the Wind. :) You read so many great texts this year, Ruth! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost forgot that I had read Gone With the Wind THIS year. It felt like so long ago. I had to add it at the last minute.

      I meant to tell you that I ordered that edition of Persuasion you had suggested. It was silly of me, though, b/c Amazon said it would not ship until the end of January, but I need it by January 5th. Well, I found out that it is coming earlier than expected, and I will have that edition to read probably by next week. Amazing!

      This was a fun year in reading. Thanks, and happy New Year to you, too.

      Delete
    2. Oh, great! I hope it enriches the read! :)

      Delete
  2. You read a lot of books on my list. I'm even more excited to read them now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! It's interesting to see what others think about the same books you have read.

      Delete
  3. What a fun idea! I loved reading all the categories. I think Descartes should get an award for the man with the warmest head ..... I don't think his brain ever turned off. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Gives new meaning to the title, "Hot Head."

      Delete
  4. Great list. War and Peace is my favorite novel ever, I'm glad to have met someone else who enjoyed it. It will stay with you a long long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are correct. If you see this comment, have you ever reread W&P? or are you planning to reread it?

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday, blog! I love your list; that's a great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a good idea for a post! I love the titles you've assigned to those I've read, especially the Hemingway, Slaughterhouse-5, Possession, the Dickens and best of all, the Calvino. I'm so glad to have stumbled upon your blog. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Priya! Happy New Year to you, too. Nice to meet you.

      Delete