Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Throwback Freebie

Novels From the Well-Educated Mind List That Turned Into Relationships



Over five years ago I read The Well-Educated Mind by Susan Wise Bauer, and I decided to read through the book lists. I completed reading the novels in a few years, and I came away with several life-long relationships with these books I did not know I loved. These are the gems:

Don Quixote - Cervantes 
If you like quotes about life, truth, and common sense, 
you'll find them abundant in this one.

Pride and Prejudice  - Jane Austen
Completely wonderful, with a touch of hysterical.

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë
An engrossingly strange, epic story.

Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
Not to be taken seriously, but oh, so shocking.

Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Brillant.

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
If you love a good, long, deep story, you'll love Tolstoy for this one.

Return of the Native - Thomas Hardy
If you love language and words, this is Hardy's treat.

Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
So many lessons here to be taken very seriously, even by Twain.  

House of Mirth - Edith Wharton
Try to read this one without becoming emotionally invested.

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Tragedy ~ you cannot turn your eyes away.

Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison
Ellison has something to say. Listen up.

Honorable Mentions: 
I have to include these titles because I had already read them before The Well-Educated Mind, but they were on the list, and I gladly reread them; now I keep them even closer with a deeper understanding and appreciation.

Uncle Tom's Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe
You need to read this one, my fellow Americans.

Red Badge of Courage - Stephen Crane
Compelling.

1984 - George Orwell
Please learn this: Communism sucks the life out of people.

4 comments:

  1. Have you read the Invisible Man? That's such a good story. I have a biography of Ellison that I am looking forward to reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I loved it. It is powerful, shocking, and impressive. I should like to read a biography of his, too.

      Delete
  2. Those are a great selection of books. Makes me want to re-read most of them, but who has time for that when there is still so many other works to read! The only two I haven't read are The Return of the Native by Hardy and The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think of that, too, sometimes: why reread when there is so much more that I have not even touched; however, sometimes these stories call me back, and that is how I feel right now. I miss them so much and want to return to them. But, we'll see.

    ReplyDelete