Wednesday, February 15, 2017

"I Love Austen Week" Tag



It is "I Love Austen Week" @ Hamlette's Soliloquy, and this is my first time participating.  I am an Austen newbie because I have not had enough investment in Austen novels or her life; however, I will add that Northanger Abbey is the only Austen I have yet to read, and I am thoroughly enjoying Emma right this very moment. 

So here is Hamlette's book tag for Austen Week:

1.  Which did you experience first, a Jane Austen book or a movie based on one?  
Book: Pride and Prejudice

2.  What is your favorite Austen book?  

Persuasion, with Pride and Prejudice an extremely close second.  I'm really loving Emma right now; then I would place Sense and Sensibility next, with Mansfield Park last.  I still need to read Northanger Abbey.

3.  Favorite heroine?  Why do you like her best?  
Elizabeth Bennet.  She absolutely, totally rocks.  I relate to her very much, or else I made it up in my head, and I want to be her in my next life.

4.  Favorite hero?  
Why do you like him best?  
Captain Frederick Wentworth: Jane Austen created the ideal utopian husband: hard working, self-made, determined, and kind of modern.  And did I mention, (with the help of Jane) he can write a love letter that "pierces" one's heart like Cupid's arrow?    

5.  Do you have a favorite film adaptation of Austen's work?  

"Pride and Prejudice" (2005)  I have not seen many adaptations of Austen films, so I am not a very good judge in this department.

6.  Have your Austen tastes changed over the years?  

Here's my story: I absolutely loved reading Pride and Prejudice and went into Persuasion thinking I knew what I was doing; but I hated it.  A year later, I was encouraged to reread Persuasion - which I did, with the most amazing results: I loved it more than Pride and Prejudice.  I don't know what happened, but the maturity of Persuasion really appealed to me.  After that, it was hit or miss: I admired Sense and Sensibility, but I did not care for Mansfield Park.  And now I am loving Emma.  I think I just need to read and reread Austen's books over and over again.

7.  Do you have any cool Austen-themed things?  

No (sad face).

8.  If you could ask Jane Austen one question, what would you ask her?  

Share your reading/book list. : )  (More like a command.)

9.  Imagine someone is making a new film of any Jane Austen story you choose, and you get to cast the leads.  What story do you want filmed, and who would you choose to act in it?  

Again, I'm not a movie person, and I don't even know actors or actresses well enough to place them in character.  

10.  Share up to five favorite Jane Austen quotations:



Pride and Prejudice: 

 It is very often nothing but our own vanity that deceives us.  
Women fancy admiration means more than it does. 

Persuasion:

No, it was not regret which made Anne's heart beat in spite of herself, 
and brought the colour into her cheeks when she thought of 
Captain Wentworth unshackled and free.  
She had some feelings which she was ashamed to investigate.  
They were too much like joy, senseless joy. 

Sense and Sensibility:

If I could but know his heart, every thing would become easy. 

Mansfield Park:

Nothing ever fatigues me but doing what I do not like. 

Emma: 

It was foolish, it was wrong, to take so active a part in bringing any two people together. It was adventuring too far, assuming too much, making light of what ought to be serious, a trick of what ought to be simple.  She was quite concerned and ashamed, and resolved to do such things no more. 

13 comments:

  1. Definitely read Northanger Abbey! It's one of my favorites. I think her books get better and better with each time reading them. I'm amazed that even though I've read her books far too many times to count I can still discover something new and thought provoking each time I read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will. Hopefully next year I will read Northanger Abbey, and then I can begin reading all of her novels all over again. : )

      Delete
  2. I love Jane Austen. I think she was at the forefront on the rights of a woman, breaking away from the docile, simpering mold to heroines who are independent, can think for themselves. Also, Ms. Austen changed my idea of a perfect man FOREVER after she introduced Captain Wentworth....no wonder no matches up to his standards! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is the meme? "Jane Austen: Giving women unrealistic expectations since 1811." (yep!)

      Delete
  3. What great quotations! I should have said "six" so people could include one from each major novel, huh?

    I'm so glad you gave Persuasion a second chance. It does have a very different feel from P&P -- I tend to think of Persuasion, Sense & Sensibility, and Mansfield Park as the more serious novels, and the other three as the lighter ones.

    Thanks for joining the party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, I'm definitely feeling the humor in Emma. Much lighter in tone. Thanks for hosting this week.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you're loving Austen! My favorite is always Sense & Sensibility. :) For your #8, you might like this article. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jillian, I did see that article when I was looking for some kind of reading list; I guess I was hoping for something more concrete and specific, but they say they can only gather from her correspondence and notes (nothing formal). It would have been interesting to see what she would have read had she lived longer. She certainly had a short life.

      Thanks for sharing it.

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes. Something more concrete would be awesome.

      I'm pretty sure she read A Vindication of the Rights of Woman. I just glean that from what I've read of her work. "Sense and Sensibility" is an actual phrase from Wollstonecraft's essay. So of course I've leapt to SHE DEFINITELY READ THAT PROBABLY WHEN IT WAS NEW. HOW EXCITING. :)

      Delete
    3. Which reminds me, too, that I anticipate reading that one as well.

      I suppose it would be quite an education to step into Jane's shoes and read all of the possible books she was exposed to. I wonder if someone has already created that project????

      Delete
    4. I don't know! I've never seen one for Jane Austen. I've been doing one for Margaret Mitchell -- just for myself, because I'm curious to read what she read. If I could start finding books again, I'd note where I found her mention of a book, her thoughts on it, when she read it, etc. But I only noted books I thought I'd be interested in reading, as I read her letters and biographies. If someone were to compile Austen's reads, it'd be amazing to have all that detail. :) I was actually thinking (not very seriously, but mildly considering) hosting a challenge where people pick and author they want to explore like that, get at least one biography or book of letters or journal, and pick three books that author read and read them -- to consider how that might have influenced the author's work. Not sure how popular that challenge would be, but I thought if it because I have so much fun discovering books Mitchell read. And also, if people did this, what an awesome source that would be! As in, then I'd know some of what Austen or Dickens read. :)

      I found a list of people who are apparently experts in Austen. It looks like they're professional emails are included. Maybe you could contact one of them and ask if a list like that has been compiled on Austen. It seems like if anyone would know, an expert from Oxford University would. :)

      Delete
    5. Not sure what happened to that link. Here it is: http://network.expertisefinder.com/searchexperts?query=Jane%20Austen

      Delete
    6. An expert in Jane Austen would probably be a very good place to start. I will definitely save the contacts. It would be a worthwhile project for anyone to choose their favorite author or an author of her choice, and read through his/her reading list. And then furthermore, you could later read those books by authors who were influenced by that initial author. The project would never end. : )

      Delete