Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Top Ten Best Books Of 2016

Top Ten Best Books Read in 2016


Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas
Biography of German pastor who plotted to kill Hitler.

Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
The movie made me want to read the book; and the book did not disappoint.

Journal of a Solitude by May Sarton
Ah, Solitude.

Doctor Zhivago by Pasternak
Why I continue to love Russian literature.

The Gulag Archipelago by Alexksandr Solzhenitsyn
Sarcastic and raw autobiography of a Russian
who survived ten years in Communist prison camp under Stalin.

These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder
My absolute favorite (for now, after my third read)
from the Little House series.

The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder
One of the most important books I have ever read, full of life lessons.

Little Town on the Prairie or By the Shores of Silver Lake 
  by Laura Ingalls Wilder
I cannot decide.


The Road From Coorain by Jill Ker Conway
Amazing autobiography of an Australian woman, born before her time.

A Room of One's Own - Virginia Woolf
My favorite non-fiction Woolf, so far.

Bonus:
Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography by Laura Ingalls Wilder
The original adult version of Laura's autobiography
that gave birth to the endearing Little House series.

An Odd Bonus Choice:
The Autobiography of Malcolm X
This may seem strange, 
but it was an effective read and well worth the emotion.

A Late Add:
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khalid Hosseini
(WOW.  I'm not even done, but it is destined to be a favorite.)



9 comments:

  1. We've had Bonhoeffer sitting on the family shelf for so long... I really need to read it one of these days. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing, stunning, and memorable.

      Delete
  2. So funny that you liked all the biographies that I didn't like. Well, I guess there were things I liked about them but I honestly wish that I'd spent my time reading something else. Even the Gulag is making my eyes glaze over, but perhaps it's because I'm reading the unabridged version. I would love to read about Bonhoeffer and Metaxas is supposed to be an excellent writer. In any case, it will be interesting to see how the later WEM histories stack up. I'm looking so forward to starting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, maybe the histories will be a better journey. I commend you on reading the unabridged version of Gulag b/c the version I read was enough.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful list, Ruth. I've read most but not all. Malcom X sounds intriguing. I think I'll have to put it on my list.

    Bonhoeffer is one of my favorite biographies. I am currently reading Metaxas' biography of Wilberforce and it is excellent.

    I must also read Gulag Archipelago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Malcolm X was SHOCKING. Be prepared to be offended - but read to the very end.

      I read Wilberforce this year, too, but it was not as intense as Bonhoeffer. Nonetheless, it was a wonderful story b/c Wilberforce is an unsung hero in the history of fighting slavery. Metaxas uncovers all the small, quiet details of the years and years of work Wilberforce and his supporters had tirelessly persevered to dismantle slavery in England.

      Delete
  4. I don't really know anything about Bonhoeffer except that his "The Cost of Discipleship" calls to me to be read! "Far from the Madding Crowd" is a favourite too. I have never read Ingall Wilder's series. I tried doing so once, but I figure it is one of those things you can only enjoy as an adult if you have read it and loved it as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Risa,
      I had not read through the Little House series until I was an adult - just within the last 5 years. If I had read these as a child, I would have never appreciated them.

      As for Bonhoeffer, it is very well done, and very long.

      Delete