Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Russian Literature Challenge 2017

January 2017 through December 2017

The short list of qualifications:

Level One (Tolstoy): 1-3 books
Level Two (Chekov): 4-6 books
Level Three (Dostoevsky): 7-11 books
Level Four (Turgenev): 12+ books

You can count short stories, poetry, novels, novellas and plays in your book count.  I don't really mind.

Keely has a long list of Russian texts on her blog, if you need ideas.

I am both excited and nervous about this challenge because, while I thoroughly appreciate Russian lit, I find it complex and weighty in ideas, which presumes a deep commitment.  I do not have a problem with committing to deep reading and thinking; but it is my other life that demands so much from me.

Therefore, I will start off small - level one, obviously - and see what I can accomplish.

My first three commitments are:

1. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

2. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn

3. The Diary of a Madman and Other Stories by Nikolai Gogol

And if I want to add more, they will be:

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Notes From the Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

OK, here I go . . .

9 comments:

  1. Thanks again for bringing this challenge to my attention. I am dying to read 'The Brothers Karamazov' too but like you said, reading these Russian novels requires so much commitment and time is so limited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to sign up for this one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for bringing this challenge to my attention. I have read only a handful of Russian authored books, but have the desire to read more. I wish you a lot of enjoyment in the process of completing your goals and look forward to reading your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich is the first Russian novel I ever read and it's just...an amazing piece of work. You have a great list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, awesome. I loved Gulag by Solzhenitsyn, and I knew I had to snag this one when I saw it.

      Delete