Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I've Added To My To-Be-Read List Recently

Via The Broke and the Bookish
Ten Books I've Added To My To-Be-Read List Recently

If You Can Keep It by Eric Metaxas

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

A Women's Education: 
The Road From Coorain Leads to Smith College 
by Jill Ker Conway

This Life I Live: 
One Man's Extraordinary, Ordinary Life 
and the Woman Who Changed It Forever 
by Rory Feek

Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy

Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy

The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy

Wonderland Avenue: Tales of Glamour and Success by Danny Surgerman
(I read this in my 20s and loved it.  Such a wild ride.  I have to reread it.)

From Achilles to Christ: Why Christians Should Read the Pagan Classics 
by Louis Markos

Reflections on the Revolutions in France by Edmund Burke

6 comments:

  1. The final two books on your list sound very intriguing. I'm interested in the French Revolution, and "From Achilles to Christ" piques my curiosity...why should Christians read the pagan classics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those last two are very interesting.

      Delete
  2. I really liked The Mayor of Casterbridge but not Tess. Wes Callahan has a video about Christians & Pagan classics:
    https://youtu.be/NuhpFRu9jqs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. I'm going to definitely check out that video.

      Delete
  3. Hardy's Tess has been on my TBR for years, but since I wasn't overly crazy about Jude the Obscure or The Return of the Native, I've been putting it off for too long. It does sound like a really interesting read, though. I hope you enjoy going through your TBR shelf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so many mixed opinions about Hardy.

      Delete