Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Best Books Read So Far 2016


It is a FREEBIE this week, so I am listing the best [twelve] books I have read so far this year, 2016, in some kind of order beginning with most favorite, which is difficult because some are fictional and others biographical:

1.  Bonhoeffer - Eric Metaxas  
Excellent biography about Dietrich Bonhoeffer, 
German pastor and spy during WWII.  
I will never forget this book.

2.  Far From the Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
(audio version,
but I like this cover best)
I love this story; I don't know how else to say it.

3.  On the Banks of Plum Creek - Laura Ingalls Wilder
My favorite of The Little House series, for now.

4.  Journal of a Solitude - May Sarton
Portrait of May Sarton
I read this book at the right time in my life.  
Had I read it any other time, it may not have had the same impact.

5.  The Long Winter - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Great lessons are to be learned in this one.

6.  The Gulag Archipelago - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn 
Excellent biography and evidence from someone who knows what it is like
to have his freedom and liberty stolen from him.

7.  The Autobiography of Malcolm X
This book shocked me to the core,
but it was worth finishing to the very end.

8.  Little House in the Big Woods - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Just a sweet, pleasant story.

9.  Little House on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder
OK, not a sweet or pleasant story, but necessary.

10.  Farmer Boy - Laura Ingalls Wilder
More good character lessons are in this one.  
This should be a parenting manual.

11.  Amazing Grace - Eric Metaxas
Another great biography by Metaxas, 
demonstrating perseverance and faith in a few men 
fighting for the freedom of all. 

12. By the Shores of Silver Lake - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Not my favorite of The Little House series, 
but still a wonderful experience.

3 comments:

  1. Ok...you have really sold me the Little House series...I am so going after them! :) I have heard a lot of great things about Dietrich Bonhoeffer's biography....and now with your recommendation, it just went upppppp in my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Little House series is an easy read; but read them during a peaceful period of your reading journey. Meanwhile, Bonhoeffer is a giant of a book. It's history and biography in one.

      Delete
    2. Ruth..great tips! I think Little House will have to wait awhile because life is anything but peaceful!The history part of Bonhoeffer is to me like double icing on a cake :D but I will take it slow and easy simply because I have limited time these days and it is a humongous book! Thank you again :)

      Delete