Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Fifteen Books of Summer (Maybe)


May 31st - It is officially summer for me, and that means I will be busier than ever, of course.  I am months behind on my reading challenges; so why not commit myself to another deadline?  Because at the end of the day, instead of reading, I want to pass out.  So I pass out.  Maybe this will force me to stay up and read.  

Since my summer is 2 1/2 months as opposed to 3 months, I will be pleased just to read these, 

in June:

to finish Amazing Grace by Eric Metaxas, for my local Book Club reading;

and finish The Gulag Archipelago by Alexksandr Solzheitsyn, for The Well-Educated Mind Reading Challenge;

The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder, for The Little House Read-Along;

Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak, for The Classics Club II and Back to the Classics.

In July I plan to read:

Little Town on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder, for The Little House Read-Along;

This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald, for The Classics Club II;

David Cooperfield by Charles Dickens (yeah, right!), for The Classics Club II and Back to the Classics;

Born Again by Charles W. Colson, for The Well-Educated Mind Reading Challenge.

And in August I have:

These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder, for The Little House Read-Along;

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen, for Reading England, Back to the Classics, and The Classics Club II;

The Belly of Paris by Emile Zola, for Back to the Classics and The Classics Club II.

Plus I am reading The Pickwick Papers every month.

That's twelve.  

If stay up past my bedtime and read more and more (I mean, it's SUMMER!), I may be able to squeeze in three more books to make it 15:

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, just because;

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Bugess, for Back to the Classics and The Classics Club II;

and maybe, just maybe, Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God by Jonathan Edwards for The Classics Club II.

That's that.  Now I must go and get reading.  

18 comments:

  1. Great list! And I'm so pleased this is happening again! Going to do my list tomorrow, it'll be my third year participating and I'm hoping this time I'll read my 20. Never managed it yet though :)

    Belly of Paris is great, by the way. Love David Copperfield too, want to re-read it but just not got the time. I'll be interested to see what you make of This Side of Paradise. Not read it myself, but been meaning to read more F Scott Fitzgerald. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Yeah, I have no idea how I am going to fit David Copperfield into my summer. it's a tome.

      Will be interested to see what you come up with for your summer. : )

      Delete
  2. I really shouldn't sign up for another challenge but this is SO TEMPTING...

    I may have to put a list together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Colleen. Well, just assume you're going to read this summer anyway, put that list together, and hope all goes well. In fact, it is really nice that there are options for 15 and 10 books, too. (There was no way I could get 20 done in 2 1/2 months, which is the original reading challenge.) Good luck!

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting to read Doctor Zhivago for the longest time. The Belly of Paris has some divine descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of all my projected books, Doctor Zhivago is my most anticipated this summer. I'm hoping to start it very soon. : D

      And I look forward to Zola. Even if his stories are a little slow moving (sometimes), his writing style is enjoyable.

      Delete
  4. I've read Doctor Zhivago twice and really enjoyed it, even though it's rather grim at times. I have not had much luck with Fitzgerald, so I'll be interested in how you do with This Side of Paradise. I couldn't even imagine getting through 15 books this summer. If I get through 5, I'll be jumping for joy. Happy summer reading!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleo,
      I cannot wait to read Doctor Zhivago. I saw the latest film version last year, and yeah, it's grim! But I have to read the book now.

      Strange as it is, I really enjoyed reading The Great Gatsby; but we'll see about Paradise.

      Last night I said to myself that I was going to stay up late and read past my bedtime, but I WENT TO BED BEFORE EVERYONE IN THE HOUSE, including my kids!!!! I failed. (But to be fair, I had the busiest weekend since Friday morning all the way through to Monday night, so I think I was still feeling the drain.) Maybe tonight I'll pull an all-nighter so I can start checking these books off my list. I really want to read at least 12 - maybe 15 - this summer. So, thanks!

      Delete
  5. Awesome list and I am really tempted to join....I have the Gulag, lying in my TBR for a while...I await, your and Cleo's review! I really like Doctor Zhivago and Mansfield Park seems to get better with every reading! I am also intersted in your tale on The Side of Paradise! Happy Summer Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      I'm really getting into Gulag, but as you know, it is a difficult topic. The author is a sarcastic, as you can imagine his heart is hardened. His story really puts my easy life into perspective. I appreciate reading stories like these.

      I certainly cannot wait to read Zhivago, and another Austen and Fitzgerald. If I could just stay up later at night. I'm working on that. : )

      Delete
  6. Dr. Zhivago, Belly of Paris...those I've read. The rest of you choices are book with 'a lot of meat on the bone'! Gulag, I'll be interested how you like that one. I read The First Circle by Solzheitsyn, but could not manage Gulag. I needed a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Gulag is difficult (topic wise), but I am grateful he was able to tell his story and the story of so many others. Personally, I do not think enough has been said about Lenin and Stalin. Hitler gets most of the attention, but frankly, Stalin was as bad and even WORSE than Hitler.

      Delete
  7. You are reading Mansfield Park! *throws confetti and bubble gum*

    I'm also reading David Copperfield this summer. I'm a little over halfway finished. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I plan to read 'em. We'll see. I think DC is going to take several months, at least.

      Delete
  8. I love all your classic reads - I've just spotted a new CCspin on the Classics Club, so one more classic will probably make it's way onto my #20booksofsummer list....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I re-read Mansfield Park recently and appreciated it so much more this time around. Read Gulag I my ? late teens/early 20's - I must have a morbid streak - I love the Russian authors. I'd like to retread that one but have Cancer Ward to read first. I'm about halfway through Bonhoeffer & soaking it up. Albert Marrin has quite a good book on Stalin and he says the same thing - he was responsible for more deaths than Hitler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so appreciate the Russian authors, too. I may have to look into Cancer Ward. I read Solzhenitsyn's commencement speech he gave at Harvard, and it was excellent.

      Bonhoeffer is amazing and stunning! Probably my most memorable read this year, so far.

      BTW, Albert Marrin is one of my favorites for homeschool. That Stalin book was EXCELLENT. My kids hate me for making them read it, but WOW! They have to know the truth.

      Delete