Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Used Book Finds


I love library used book sales, especially when I find something to take home.  In the past year, these are the books I have found:

The Mill on the Floss - George Eliot (Just wanted to add this to my ever growing TBR pile.)

Julie and Julia - Julie Powell (This was such a great movie (a true account) about a woman who begins a journey of cooking and baking through Julia Child's Cookbook, while blogging about it, and how it changes her life.  I hope the book is as entertaining.)

Out of Africa - Karen Blixen (Well, I LOVE this movie (also a true account); however, the book does not follow the movie, or rather the movie does not follow the book.  I had already started reading it, and since I had expected it to read like the movie, I was disappointed.  Nevertheless, it was still beautiful, as it is all about the Africa.  I will have to go back to it when I mentally prepare to read about the land in Africa.)

Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden (Another movie I liked, and the librarian said the book was excellent.)

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini (This is an author I have read positive reviews, and I would like to read his works; so when I saw this, I grabbed it.)

The Screwtape Letters - C.S. Lewis (Finally have a copy of this.)

Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis (I owned a roughly used copy of this one, and traded it for this barely-read copy.)

The Bluest Eye - Toni Morrison (I struggled with Song of Solomon, but I said I would try something else by Morrison.  So here it is.)

Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe (This one I have only heard about, so when I saw the copy, I snagged it.)

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith (Again, I had an old hardcover copy of this, and I traded it for this newer, softcover edition.)

Born Again - Charles Colson (This was a lucky find b/c this is on my WEM biographies list.  And it looks really interesting.)

So, have you read any of these?  What is your opinion?

9 comments:

  1. The next best thing to buying your own used books, is getting the privilege of drooling over someone else's. Thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Cleo. You're supposed to tell me which are your favorites and which ones I should read first. (But I know what you mean.)

      BTW, whenever I find a C.S. Lewis, I always think of you. There was another title available, called The Problem of Pain, but I was unfamiliar with it and did not get it. Do you know it?

      Delete
    2. Well ..... many of these books are too "new" for me and I'd hesitate to try them without a solid, trusted recommendation (you would count as "solid" and "trusted" so I'll be looking for your reviews! ;-) ) I loved Out of Africa and I don't think you could go wrong with Eliot, although I haven't read that one yet.

      As for Lewis, The Screwtape Letters are awesome! If you can get ahold of the Focus on the Family audiobook read by Andy Serkis (think Gollum from Lord of the Rings), it's amazing. I've read Mere Christianity numerous times and have so many notes on it that I've had to tape extra paper into my paperback. I really should review it sometime. The Problem of Pain is very good ...... not my favourite but Lewis was asked to write it and I think the effort from an outside source shows. It's quite technical in places whereas pain is very emotional. However if you contrast it with A Grief Observed you can see two completely different Lewis's ---- one with a cerebral understanding of pain and then one with an intrinsic understanding of it. Quite fascinating and moving.

      I hope you enjoy your reading! You have many books to keep you busy over the holidays!

      Delete
    3. That's true. These are mostly contemporary works. I'm hoping to spread them out throughout the years; there's no way I'll get to them this Christmas break. I am having a difficult time getting through what I hope to get through this month. Just not enough time in the day or night.

      Thanks for the opine on Lewis. I've only read his fiction. I definitely want to read these two that I picked up. And we also will read something from him during our WEM biographies.

      Delete
    4. I'd highly recommend his "The Great Divorce", if you haven't read it yet. My favourite is "Miracles" but it's theologically dense; it's best to read it very slowly and ponder ........

      Best wishes for your end of the year reading! You look like you're managing to finish quite a few!

      Delete
  2. Memoirs of a Geisha! I forgot how I loved that book. And your librarian was right, the book is much better than the movie (as always, I think...).

    I'm curious about Bluest Eye; I loved Morrison's "Beloved", but didn't like Song of Solomon. So Bluest Eye is for me like 50-50: will I like it? or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. I look forward to reading Memoirs.

      I remember you had said you preferred Beloved over Song of Solomon, and I've been keeping my eyes open for it.

      Thanks, Fanda.

      Delete
  3. Never commented before, but why not? The Mill on the Floss is an absolutely wonderful book. It wasn't until my third attempt that I got through it, but then I absolutely flew. And I think it's my favorite Eliot. Sometimes books have to catch you at the right time. Both C.S. Lewis books are very good. I would recommend both of those before The Problem of Pain which is, yes, fairly technical. And John Cleese's recording of Screwtape is also very well
    done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info, Lisa. I've not read any Eliot or any non-fiction Lewis.

      I 100% agree with your statement that books have to catch you at the right time. Or we have to catch a book at the right time. Our emotions and circumstances can and do influence our reading experience. it happens all the time to me.

      Delete