Thursday, December 17, 2015

The Classics Club List II


My first Classics Club Challenge began in March 2012 and would have ended in 2017, but I completed my list of 75 classics earlier this year. Originally, I did not consider putting together another list; however, I have since been inspired to participate again.  It is not a burden to make another list because I am predominately reading classics anyway; plus, I have an unsightly number of unread classics waiting patiently on my book shelves to be read.  So why not?

Following is a list of classics I want to read ASAP.  Titles with an asterisk are part of my ongoing Well-Educated Mind Reading Challenge (histories); only four titles on my list are rereads: The Qu'ran, The Communist Manifesto, Democracy in America, and Common Sense; and two I started but did not finish: Wuthering Heights and Out of Africa.  

Presenting...

The Classics Club List II
Begins: January 2016 - Ends: December 2020
Total: 75 books

Anonymous
The Qu'ran (7th c.)

Augustine
City of God * (5th c.)

Austen, Jane
Emma (1815)
Mansfield Park (1814)
Northanger Abbey (1817)

Bede
The Ecclesiastical History of the English People * (8th c.)

Blixen, Karen
Out of Africa (1937)

Brontë, Emily
Wuthering Heights (1847)

Burgess, Anthony
Clockwork Orange (1962)

Burney, Frances
Evelina (1778)

Burckhardt, Jacob
The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy * (1860)

Calvin, John
The Institutes of the Christian Religion (1536)

Camus, Albert
The Plague (1947)

Collins, Wilkie
The Woman in White (1859)

Cather, Willa
Death Comes for the Archbishop (1927)

DeFoe, Daniel
Moll Flanders (1722)

Dickens, Charles
Bleak House (1853)
David Copperfield (1850)
Nicholas Nickleby (1838)
Pickwick Papers (1837)

Dostoevsky, Fyodor
The Brothers Karamazov (1880)
The Idiot (1869)

Du Bois, W.E.B.
The Souls of Black Folk * (1903)

Edwards, Johnathan
Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God (1741)

Eusebius
The History of the Church (4th c.)

Fitzgerald, F. Scott
This Side of Paradise (1920)

Forster, E. M.
A Passage to India (1924)
A Room with a View (1908)

Friedan, Betty
The Feminine Mystique * (1963)

Fukuyama, Francis
The End of History and the Last Man * (1992)

Galbraith, John Kenneth
The Great Crash of 1929 * (1954)

Gaskell, Elizabeth
North and South (1855)

Genovese, Eugene D.
Roll, Jordon, Roll: The World the Slaves Made * (1974)

George Eliot
Middlemarch (1874)
Mill on the Floss (1860)

Gibbon, Edward
The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire * (1776-89)

Hardy, Thomas
Far From the Madding Crowd (1874)

Herodotus
The Histories * (440 BC)

Hugo, Victor
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1831)
Les Miserables (1862)

Hume, David
The History of England * (1754-61)

Hurston, Zora Neale
Their Eyes Were Watching God (1937)

Locke, John
The True End of Civil Government * (1689)

Marx/Engles
The Communist Manifesto * (1848)

Machiavelli, Niccolo
The Prince * (1534)

McPherson, James M.
Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era * (1988)

Miller, Perry
The New England Mind * (1939)

Moore, Sir Thomas
Utopia * (1516)

Morrison, Toni
The Bluest Eye (1970)

Orczy, Emma
The Scarlet Pimpernel (1905)

Orwell, George
The Road to Wigan Pier * (1937)

Paine, Thomas
Common Sense * (1776)

Pasternak, Boris
Doctor Zhivago (1956)

Plato
The Republic * (380 BC)

Plutarch
Lives * (1st c.)

Rousseau, Jean-Jacques
The Social Contract * (1908)

Ryan, Cornelius
The Longest Day * (1959)

Sinclair, Upton
The Jungle (1906)

Smith, Betty
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1943)

Spenser, Edmund
The Faerie Queene, Book One (1596)

Stockett, Kathryn
The Help (2009) <===(Destined to be a classic, right?)

Strachey, Lytton
Queen Victoria * (1921)

Thucydides
The Peloponnesian War * (431 BC)

Tocqueville, Alexis
Democracy in America * (1835-40)

Tuchman, Barbara
A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous Fourteenth Century * (1978)

Wallace, Lew
Ben Hur (1880)

Weber, Max
The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism * (1905)

Wharton, Edith
Ethan Frome (1911)

Wollstonecraft, Mary
A Vindication of the Rights of Women * (1792)

Woodward/Bernstein
All the President's Men * (1974)

Woolf, Virginia
A Room of One's Own (1929)
Night and Day (1919)
To the Lighthouse (1927)

Zola, Émile
The Belly of Paris (1873)
The Conquest of Plassans (1874)

Supplemental List (Other classics on my shelves that I want to read or reread # - though not as urgently - which I may or may not add to my list):

Dumas, Alexandre
The Count of Monte Cristo (1844)

Faulkner, William
The Sound and the Fury (1929)

Hemingway, Ernest
The Sun Also Rises (1926)
A Farewell to Arms (1929)

Lawrence, D.H.
Sons and Lovers (1913)

Lee, Harper
To Kill a Mockingbird (1960) (reread)

Scott, Sir Walter
Ivanhoe (1820)

Stevenson, Robert Louis
Treasure Island (1883)

Thackeray, William Makepeace
Vanity Fair (1848)

Twain, Mark
Joan of Arc (1896)
Roughing It (1872)

Verne, Jules
Around the World in 80 Days (1873)
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1870)

Wells, H.G.
The Time Machine (1895)
War of the Worlds (1898)

For more info on joining The Classics Club, go HERE.

25 comments:

  1. Wow! Very impressive and ambitious. I wish you well with the Koran. I attempted it but became bogged down and annoyed with the syntax and style; I understand that the tempo and sounds in Arabic make it much more effective, but I will never -- I hope -- learn Arabic in order to read the book. As for the rest of your list, I look forward to following your progress. You are clearly more committed and ambitious than yours truly, R.T. at Beyond Eastrod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, R.T. I read a decent edition one year, but I won't remember which b/c it was so long ago. However, I think I may like this edition that I have listed. We'll see.

      Delete
    2. You have inspired me to get involved in a classics challenge; here is the link to my announcement: http://beyondeastrodredux.blogspot.com/2015/12/joining-classics-club-and-reading-50-of.html
      Thanks for motivating me!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your second list! I'm working through my first list currently but I know there are so many more classics I have left to read after I'm done with it that I'll probably make a second list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOLLSTONECRAFT IS ON YOUR LIST! And Betty Friedan! And Hurston (so good), and THREE excellent Austens! It's so fun to see us all posting second lists for this club. Can you believe it's been nearly four years? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I am eager to read Wollstonecraft - all of these. So frustrating that I can't just read and read all day long.

      You are so very blessed to have discovered early in your life that you love reading (especially classics). I spent my 20s so intimidated to just try. Now I am playing catch up.

      Delete
  4. Every time I see somebody's reading list I want to read them all.
    You have selected some very fine classics. One or two of your selections...I put back on the bookshelf (Sons and Lovers and Mill on the Floss). No rational reason. I'll let you read them first and tell me about them. I read McPherson's book, it was excellent. Chapters are well-rounded. I read it in phases to let the history sink in. Suggestion: John Galsworthy is well worth reading. There is a rhythm in his language that appealed to me. I see John Locke on the list. Very thought provoking as is De Tocqueville, so make a pot of coffee and some chocolate chip cookies for the reading sessions! Good reading....2016 - 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very excited to get into the history section of TWEM, but I still need about a year to complete my biographies.

      So did John Galswothy write history, too? or is he just a novelist?

      Delete
    2. Great English novelist.. his masterpiece is the Forsyte Saga. It is divided into 3 novels, so I can enjoy the first one then take a break. I just reviewed ' Man of Property' (vol. 1). Galsworthy was great friends with Joseph Conrad. Conrad urged him to leave his law practice and be come a writer. Conrad dedicated his novel "Nostromo" to Galsworthy.

      Delete
  5. Wow, there's some great stuff on here! You are going to have fun.

    Except with Clockwork Orange. I'll tell you right now, you'll hate it. I didn't get too far with it. (But don't take my word for it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! Someone else told me I'd love it and should read it immediately. Anyway, I will read it and see what happens.

      Delete
  6. Ethan Frome is one of my favorite classics! I really need to reread it; hope you enjoy! Emma is my favorite Austen, it made me laugh out loud multiple times while reading it. You have quite the ambitious list here. Good luck!
    Mallory @ The Local Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mallory. I do enjoy reading Wharton.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on getting through your first CC list!

    Wow, you have so heavy-duty reading to do! Impressive! I can't wait to see what you make of The Idiot. North and South is just WONDERFUL! I hope you like it.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I cannot wait to read N&S.

      Delete
  8. Excellent list! I loved seeing Weber on it - I haven't read Weber in years, and I've never managed the whole of the book (I read many extracts for uni, though). Good luck with all your books, looking forward to your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore reading through people's CC lists. I'm so excited for you to be reading some of these for the first time! Because I get to experience a little of that first-time thrill with you, I suppose. I can't wait to hear what you think of a bunch of them.

    Oooooh, The Longest Day is sooooooo good -- I first read it when I was about 16, and I think I've read it all the way 3 times now, and consulted it many more. It's fascinating. (And if you've seen the movie, you'll be pleased by how closely it sticks to the facts!)

    I know that by the time I finish 50 books, I'll probably have another 50 on my list. I'm up to 83 right now, and just finished my 30th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I remember when you were contemplating even joining CC. Good for you!

      About The Longest Day, it is going to be a year before I even begin my WEM histories, but I am anxious to reach them b/c I do love history.

      Delete
    2. Can you believe that was TWO years ago already? Wow.

      TLD will still be good next year :-)

      Delete
  10. I'm not a Classics Club participator ... but I do enjoy browsing through other bibliophiles reading lists.
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting list. Looks heavy on history/theology. I see you're giving Morrison another go. Clockwork Orange, huh? Have you seen the Kubrick film ever?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have not seen the film; but your question prompted me to watch a trailer, and it doesn't seem like a film I'd want to watch, even after reading the book.

      Delete