Thursday, December 10, 2015

Back to the Classics Challenge 2016


Well, it's a given.  If I am breathing next year, I will read books.  So never mind that I told myself to cut back on reading commitments in 2016; instead I am categorizing the books I plan to read and hope that I read them, after all.  There, I said it.

Here are the new categories for Karen @ Books and Chocolate's Back to the Classics Challenge 2016:

1.  A 19th Century Classic - any book published between 1800 and 1899.

2.  A 20th Century Classic - any book published between 1900 and 1966.Just like last year, all books MUST have been published at least 50 years ago to qualify. The only exception is books written at least 50 years ago, but published later.


3.  A classic by a woman author


4.  A classic in translation.  Any book originally written published in a language other than your native language. Feel free to read the book in your language or the original language.


5.  A classic by a non-white author. Can be African-American, Asian, Latino, Native American, etc.


6.  An adventure classic - can be fiction or non-fiction.


7.  A fantasy, science fiction, or dystopian classic. Dystopian could include classics like Animal Farm or 1984.


8.  A classic detective novel. It must include a detective, amateur or professional. This list of books from the Golden Age of Detective Fiction is a great starting point if you're looking for ideas.


9.  A classic which includes the name of a place in the title.  It can be the name of a house, a town, a street, etc. Examples include Bleak HouseMain StreetThe Belly of Paris, or The Vicar of Wakefield.


10. A classic which has been banned or censored. If possible, please mention why this book was banned or censored in your review.


11. Re-read a classic you read in school (high school or college).  If it's a book you loved, does it stand the test of time?  If it's a book you disliked, is it any better a second time around?


12. A volume of classic short stories. This must be one complete volume, at least 8 short stories. Children's stories are acceptable in this category only.

~

And here are my choices, for today.  I am only planning to cover six categories.

A 19th Century classic:  The Time Machine - H.G. Wells
A 20th Century classic:  Doctor Zhivago - Boris Pasternak
A classic by a woman author:  North and South - Elizabeth Gaskell
A classic in translation:  The Belly of Paris - Émile Zola (I tried, but couldn't finish it.)
A fantasy, science fiction, or dystopian classic:  A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
A classic which includes the name of a place in the title:  Mansfield Park - Jane Austen

20 comments:

  1. Yes, Mansfield Park! It's so hard to resist all these tempting challenges. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions. My goal is to read at least one Austen a year.

      (I know - these challenges!!!)

      Delete
  2. I really think I should join this challenge because my reading of classics has become completely derailed. I was actually thinking of reading David Copperfield too, since I have the book sitting around. Good luck with your reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, too, if you decide to join. You can always do a few or half of the categories. : )

      Delete
  3. I'm participating again next year,too. This seems to be the only challenge I manage to finish. :) I've been toying with the idea of reading Doctor Zhivago, but I can't decide which translation to read. Have you picked one already?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. I had not looked into it thoroughly, but I found this: https://bookssnob.wordpress.com/2010/11/20/lost-in-over-translation-doctor-zhivago-deconstructed/

      Let me know if you find something out. I have not purchased my copy, yet.

      Delete
    2. I read the John Bayley translation twice, and it was reasonably good. I will not, NO, NEVER read the Pevear-Volokhonsky translation .... they simplify everything so much and suck all the life right out of their translations. Ugh! The article that was linked in your link is an excellent explanation of why their translations are so inept. I think I'll try the Hayward-Harari translation next time.

      Delete
  4. I was considering Dr Zhivago also & saw this review which mentions different translations:
    http://btweenthecovers.com/2011/04/23/doctor-zhivago/
    I was very keen to do the 2016 challenge as I really enjoyed this years but I'd also like to read some books that have been sitting on my shelf - eg Cancer Ward by Solzhenitsyn but it was published in 1968, so just misses out on the time period for the challenge. Doing 6 books might be a better idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. BTC also echoes what the other link I found claims. The modern translation alters the work, greatly twisting the story. So I am going with the older translation of Hayward and Harai. I can't wait to read it. I loved the movie, although it is depressing. Have you seen the film?

      Delete
    2. I only have vague memories of the movie but I do have the memory that it was a bit somber .

      Delete
  5. Great list! I absolutely loved North & South -- Gaskell is one of my favorites -- and The Belly of Paris was my very first Zola. It has LOTS of great food descriptions. I read the Kurlansky translation which was excellent. Thanks for signing up for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very brave to make a list. Lists scare me. I might have to stick to them. ;-)

    I'll be getting my post up as soon as I do my wrap-up post for 2015. First things first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am scared, too, but I cut it back to six hoping to spread them out.

      Delete
  7. Is there a new challenge? I just finished 2015 today!
    Hmmm....
    I have to enjoy the completion of 2015 for a few days.
    Great choices on your reading list, personal favorite would be David Copperfield. Good luck in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Can you believe 2016 is almost here?
      Thanks!!

      Delete
  8. It happens to me that, at the time of the challenge, when everyone is posting their choices, I see so many books I want to read, sigh, many more than those I have read, lol.

    I love love your six choices, Dr. Zhivago, and A Clockwork Orange and Mansfield Park intrigue me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - same here. There is not enough time in the day or year to read everything we want.

      Delete
  9. Wow. You've got some chunky books in that list. You must like reading long books. :) I finished Mansfield Park for the second time this year, but other than that I haven't read any of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, chunky books intimidate me. I'm terrified that I won't get through them in time. I usually schedule reading them in summer. That's when I will read DC.

      Delete
  10. Yay...David Copperfield. Yikes...A Clockwork Orange, cuz it's sort of awful, in a good way. Will watch for your reviews.

    ReplyDelete