Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Thanksgiving Themed Freebie


Ten Books I am Thankful I Read 

10.  Don Quixote - Cervantes
This book kicked off my quest to conquer my fear of reading great books.

9.  Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
I am grateful to have read this beautifully written story about young women, daughters, mothers, sisters, and friends.

8.  The Four Voyages - Christopher Columbus
So many people hate this man; but I wonder how many can form their own opinion about him?  I am grateful to have read this book because it has taught me how important it is to research history before you jump on a ban wagon in ignorance.  Here's my two cents.

7.  Uncle Tom's Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe
I am grateful Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote this story about slavery.  What a courageous woman!

6.  The Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank
I am grateful God preserved Anne Frank's story.

5.  A History of the American People - Paul Johnson
Love this book with all my heart.  It makes me feel a kin to England, and I'm not even British!

4.  A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
This story makes me love Charles Dickens.

3.  The (entire) Little House series - Laura Ingalls Wilder
These stories make me love life.

2.  The Well-Educated Mind - Susan Wise Bauer
Because of this book, I am on my reading journey.

1. My Bible
Truly, the most important book ever written.
(This is not my actual Bible.)

9 comments:

  1. As for the Bible, has any other book been more influential (both positively and negatively) and so rarely and incompletely (and inaccurately) read by so many people? Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are correct about that.

      Delete
  2. Oh, yes! Some excellent ones here. So well said about Little Women That's why I'm grateful too. AND I'm grateful for a reread of the Little House books! :D You make me want to know what Columbus was about...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling the same way about Columbus!

      Delete
    2. After reading his book, which is really a copied edition by his son, as the originals no longer exist, I feel like I want to defend Columbus. He was a dreamer and visionary and had grand ideas. He believed it desperately. But he was a weak leader, and he could not command a ship load of ex-convicts, who were only given their freedom by the graciousness of the King and Queen of Spain if they would sail w/ Columbus. They were a huge mistake. And after the first voyage, it all went downhill for Columbus.

      He isn't the man he is made out to be. Murder, war, violence, rape, disease, cannibalism, and slavery existed long before Columbus arrived. It's all there in his log. It's truly amazing. Man never changes.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful list! I did not know that Columbus wrote his own account of his voyages. I am going to get this book! As for the rest, I love those books and of course, the Bible is incomparable. Books may come and go but God's unchanging word will be what I read every day, all my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      The Four Voyages is Columbus' log book, which was copied by his son (as the originals no longer exist). It is both fascinating and disheartening at the same time. He was a man with huge ideas, but he was not a good commander of ex-convicts and they were horrible mates; eventually everything fell apart after the first voyage. But he was a courageous dreamer for his time.

      And, yes, God's Word is amazing! The best in literature, history, science, poetry, song, and truth.

      Delete
  4. Great list! I'll have to check that Columbus book out - I love memoirs, sea fiction, and history, so it's right up my alley. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MH,
      It is his log book covering all four of his voyages (obviously). It was both fascinating and disheartening.

      Delete