Sunday, November 15, 2015

Little House Read-Along 2016


It's starting again: reading challenges for 2016!!!!  I told myself I was going to keep it to a bare minimum, but the first thing I see is this reading challenge hosted by Bex @ An Armchair By The Sea  and Lynn @ Smoke & Mirrors.  It's the Little House Read-Along.  And if you know me, The Little House stories are essential reading.

Well, The Little House series is not just reading; it is more like therapy.  It takes me to a simpler time, closer to nature, and back into girlhood, when life is supposed to be pure and good and safe, and the future is nothing but bright and promising.  The stories are so true, good, and significant.

I just finished reading the series this last summer, but they are so truly important to me, I hoped to find time to read them every few years.  Well, it must be fate.  So here I go . . .

Reading Schedule: (see either Bex's or Lynn's blog for more info.)

January: Little House in the Big Woods
February: Little House on the Prairie
March: Farmer Boy
April:  On the Banks of Plum Creek
May: By the Shores of Silver Lake
June: The Long Winter
July: Little Town on the Prairie
August: These Happy Golden Years
September: The First Four Years
October: On the Way Home
November: West From Home
December: A Wilder Rose (by Susan Witting Albert) or Pioneer Girl (by Laura Ingalls Wilder, Pamela Smith Hill)

14 comments:

  1. Oooooh, this is tempting! I'm going to consider it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consider it your light and pleasant reading.

      Delete
    2. Hee. I am not going to commit one way or the other until mid-December when my life calms down and I can start looking forward into 2016.

      Delete
  2. It is great to have you along on this journey, Ruth! And Hamlette, you really should "just do it," I think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like fun. I'm keeping my 2016 challenges to a minimum, but children's books are such easy reads. I'll have to think about this one.

    I'm already looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. That's what I told myself, too. However, the Little House series is simple, enjoyable reading. : )

      Delete
  4. Hmmm... this is tempting. Love the Little House books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you cannot read the entire series, you can choose which books you want to read according to the schedule. It will be a good read-along.

      Delete
  5. All above commenters, we'd totally love to have you join us! :-) Ruth - so glad to have you jumping on the bandwagon! Very excited about the mix of people who have read the series before (some multiple times) and those (like myself) who never have or have only read a few of the books in the dim and distant past. I think it will make for some brilliant discussions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just so you know that I too have joined this challenge and read my first book and posted my review for January - already!! Can you tell how eager I am?? LOL After I post the review, I also will also add more posts regarding any questions I have about the book. One post has been done already and I have several more to add. http://classicsclubchallenge.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic, Francesca! You make me feel better. I am going to read it earlier in the month, too! :)

      Delete
    2. Hi, Francesca. I am hoping to finish book one tonight. And I'll check out your posts for this ASAP. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete