Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I've read so far in 2015


Top ten books I've read so far in 2015


These are books that I have completed this year, and I actually put them into some kind of order, beginning with my most favorite.

Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl - Harriet Jacobs

 Little House in the Big Woods, Little House on the Prairie, 
and On the Shores of Plum Creek - Laura Ingalls Wilder
How could I decide?



Walden - Henry David Thoreau

Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe

Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners - John Bunyan


The Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration of Mrs. Mary Rowlandson

Confessions - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

The Voyage Out - Virginia Woolf

Beowulf - translated by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Fortune of the Rougons - Émile Zola

9 comments:

  1. A Zola made it onto my list too :-)

    I'd love to reread the Little House books one day.

    My top 10: http://bronasbooks.blogspot.com.au/2015/06/top-ten-books-ive-read-so-far-this-year.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brona, I was unable to comment on your post??? So I'll do it here. Germinal was excellent. I look forward to reading that again someday. This Zola on today's list was not as intense as Germinal.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE Beowulf! I read another translation but I bought Tolkien's and I hope to read it sometime soon! I think it's interesting to read different translations of books.
    You make me want to re-read The Little House in the Big Wood series. I've re-read them so many times but right now it doesn't feel like enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Tolkien's translation is my favorite so far (but I've only read three). I've not read the famous Heaney translation, I don't think.

      Delete
  3. Nice! It's been a while but the only ones I've read are Robinson Crusoe, and Walden. I've read an excerpt of Tolkien's translation of Beowulf, so this was a good reminder I've got to get a copy of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would appreciate Tolkien's translation. I don't know that its the best that there is, but I thought it was very well done.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful selection! I love the Little House books as well. All of these books would be on my top. Except maybe Thoreau. I had a hard time getting through his stuff. I'll have to read any review you have of him because I thought he was arrogant. I'd be interested in what someone else thinks of his writings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right about his arrogance coming through. It sure appeared that way. But what I come away with is his love for nature and serenity and simplicity and peace and common sense, while ignoring his personal delivery. So I listened to his story and paid no attention to his pitch. Cleo at Classical Carousel has an opinion, too, about Thoreau, if you want a variety of thoughts.

      Delete
  5. I can't believe I missed Walden off my list! Quite the mistake I made there!

    Glad you liked Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners - it's on my TBR pile :)

    ReplyDelete