Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Inspiring Quotes from Books



Top Ten Inspiring Quotes from Books 

(anything that inspires me, challenges me, 
makes me think, encourages me, 
or makes me laugh!)

1.  From Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott

"I like good strong words that mean something."   ~ Jo March


2.  From O Pioneers! by Willa Cather

"Isn't it queer: there are only two or three human stories, and they go on repeating themselves as fiercely as if they had never happened before; like the larks in this country, that have been singing the same five notes over for thousands of years."  ~ Carl Linstrum

3.  From Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe 

"And yet, oh, my country! these things are done under the shadow of thy laws!  O Christ! thy church sees them, almost in silence."   ~ Harriet Beecher Stowe

     

4.  From War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy

"To love life is to love God.  The hardest and the most blessed thing is to love this life in one's sufferings, in undeserved suffering."   ~ Leo Tolstoy

5. From Confessions, by Augustine

"They have no knowledge of Moses' opinion at all, but love their own opinion not because it is true, but because it is their own.  Otherwise they would equally respect another true interpretation as valid, just as I respect what they say when their affirmation is true, not because it is theirs, but because it is true.  And indeed if it is true, it cannot be merely their private property.  If they respect an affirmation because it is true, then it is already both theirs and mine, shared by all lovers of the truth."   ~ Augustine 

6.  From Robinson Crusoe, by Daniel Defoe

"His sovereignty, who, as I was His creature, had an undoubted right, by creation, to govern and dispose of me absolutely as He thought fit, and who, as I was a creature who had offended Him, had likewise a judicial right to condemn me to what punishment He thought fit; and that it was my part to submit to bear His indignation, because I had sinned against Him."
"I then reflected that God, who was not only righteous, but omnipotent, as He had thought fit thus to punish and afflict me, so He was able to deliver me; that if He did not think fit to do it, 'twas my unquestioned duty to resign myself absolutely and entirely to His will; and, on the other hand, it was my duty also to hope in Him, pray to Him, and quietly to attend the dictates and directions of His daily providence."  ~ Robinson Crusoe

7. From The Confessions, by Jean-Jacques Rousseau 

"Nothing unites human hearts so much as the sweetness of weeping together."
~ Rousseau

8.  From Little Town on the Prairie, by Laura Ingalls Wilder

"Suddenly she had a completely new thought.  The Declaration and the song came together in her mind, and she thought: God is America's king.
"She thought: Americans won't obey any king on earth.  Americans are free.  That means they have to obey their own consciences.  No king bosses Pa; he has to boss himself.  Why (she thought), when I am a little older, Pa and Ma will stop telling me what to do, and there isn't anyone else who has a right to give me orders.  I will have to make myself be good.
"Her whole mind seemed to be lighted up by that thought.  This is what it means to be free.  It means, you have to be good.  "Our father's God, author of liberty-" The laws of Nature and of Nature's God endow you with a right to life and liberty.  Then you have to keep the laws of God, for God's law is the only thing that gives you a right to be free." ~ Laura Ingalls Wilder

 

9.  From Gone With the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell: 

"I believe women could manage everything in the world without men's help - except having babies, and God knows, no women in her right mind would have babies if she could help it."  ~ Scarlet O'Hara

10.  From The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins

"Stupid people are dangerous."   ~ Katniss Everdeen

13 comments:

  1. Great list! I love how you ended with Katniss. Is that from the first book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, I'm pretty sure that was the first one.

      Delete
  2. Amazing choices! I don't remember that line from Robinson Crusoe but now I want to re-read it to find it! I remember loving it when I read it years ago.
    I'm loving that quote from Little Women too! I can't wait to re-read it later this year! :)
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2015/04/top-ten-inspiring-quotes-from-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love quotations!!! I wish I had time to participate in this Top Ten Tuesday, but since I don't, it's so nice to read quotes from others. My favourite is ..... oh, it's so hard to choose. I've been partial to Rousseau lately, so I think I'll choose his. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see that you were able to fit in your list today!

      Delete
  4. I love these! Thanks for sharing :) I didn't have time to do this today, but if I had I would have included "I have been bent and broken but - I hope - into a better shape" (Great Expectations)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that one.

      Silly me! I didn't even think to look in my Dickens' copies to find a good quote. How terrible!

      Delete
  5. I love the quote from "O Pioneers" - a fascinating way to look at people & their stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's one of my favorites.

      Delete
  6. 'Bout to start Gone with the Wind!! (Don't exactly like that quote though haha) I can't wait to read it. And that's the second Leo Tolstoy quote I've seen on the Top Ten Tuesdays; I love his quotes! Thanks these are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That GWTW quote makes me laugh. When you you meet Scarlet, you'll know what I mean.

      Delete
  7. That line from Little Women is one of my favorites too! In fact, when we totally finish that read-along in another month or so, there'll be a giveaway prize that involves that quote :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo is full of wisdom. She's a wonderful character. I bet Louisa May Alcott is a lot like her.

      Delete