Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten books from my childhood/teen years that I would love to revisit





 Top 10 Books From My Childhood (Or teen years) 

That I Would Love To Revisit


Most of my childhood books were obscure, and I cannot remember them.  The ones I do remember are from school - required reading.  I went to a Catholic elementary school, and we had to read these books (some of which are shocking to me today because of the language, like Of Mice and Men). Nonetheless, they left an indelible impression on me.  I have already reread these in my adult years, except the last two that I read in early college, but I still yearn to return to them again.  Some of them I have loved, then hated; but then I renewed my love for them again after a another reread.  All of them I would love to revisit again and again.


Red Badge of Courage - Stephen Crane


The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne


The Crucible - Arthur Miller


Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway


Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck


The Pearl - John Steinbeck


All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque


The Diary of Anne Frank - Anne Frank


Kaffir Boy - Mark Mathabane


Night - Elie Wiesel 

8 comments:

  1. I did NOT like The Scarlet Letter but maybe I was too young to appreciate it. I'm not sure if I'm feeling lucky enough for a re-read though. ;) It was a really interesting book though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the opposite reaction: first loved it very much, then hated it. But I calmed down since and want to reread it again. We'll see how I feel about it then.

      Delete
  2. Oh I loved Scarlet Letter! Though I'm thinking because I'm only two years out of "childhood," most of these books are still TBR's for me! I really want to read some Steinbeck. I'd like to finally know my opinion of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck w/ Steinbeck. I still have lots more to read from him, too.

      Delete
  3. Of Mice and Men along with the Old Man and the Sea are more recent favorites of mine. There is no way that I would have been able to appreciate them as a teenager. The Crucible and All Quiet on the Western Front are on my classics list that I need to read. I have never heard of 'Kaffir Boy' before but this one sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet I did not appreciate them when I read them in grade school, but they have stayed w/ me since, always calling me back.

      Kaffir Boy is a true story about the author living in apartheid South Africa. I just have to reread it someday.

      Delete
  4. I'd forgotten all about Kaffir Boy. And here I was looking for a good South African book ~ I think that I've found it. Thanks for the memory jog!

    Well, I must admit, you've surprised me with your choices. I'm not chomping at the bit to read another Steinbeck but The Scarlet Letter and The Crucible are on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you go! I read Kaffir Boy in college; then I won a copy of it from my library a couple of years ago during banned book week. Go figure.

      I felt like The Pearl and Of Mice and Men had different styles than East of Eden, but the fact that they are broken stories would probably not be very appealing to you at this time.


      Delete