Saturday, March 14, 2015

This Spring Break is Over (and I am actually glad)

These African daisies cannot wait for spring!

A few weeks ago I decided to take a spring break from social media and my blogs.  Frankly, I wanted to see if I had any self-control left in me.  For months it has been bothering me how much time I use to maintain Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Booklikes, Goodreads, Google+, and Pinterest, in additional to trying to keep up with numerous book and homeschool blogs that I like to follow.  It amounted to a lot.

With the burden to keep up with social media, I was neglecting important things, like my kids and researching for our next school year and even just making time to read this tome (Confessions, by Rousseau) on my nightstand.

I knew the extra pressure of keeping up on social media was not good use of my time.  It was consuming and distracting me and in no way enhancing my literary experience.   Don't get me wrong: there are extremely talented people in this world who have a great forum utilizing social media and making a living out of it. They have thousands and millions of followers, and a paycheck!  But I don't have that time to dedicate to it. Besides I've got a following right here under my own roof: a total of five followers who are quite demanding of me, and that does not include my husband.  That is about all I can handle.

This is home!
In addition to the time issue, there are some personal reasons I needed to reevaluate why I was using Facebook.  It irritates me that I cannot retain my fan page without a personal page, too; but those are the rules.

So in regards to the social media: I dumped Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram, which I used the least, and Booklikes because it is just a different universe over there.  And I got rid of Facebook, which was like a burden lifted from my shoulders.  The only three I am keeping are Goodreads, Google+, and Pinterest.  I definitely am not getting rid of Pinterest.  And Bloglovin is maintenance free, so I am still there.

I feel like the compulsion to use all of social media at one time has dissipated completely.  I've been cleansed. Yay!  It feels so good.  But my love for writing and reading I hope never leaves me; hence I still want to keep my blogs.  While I was on this little spring break, I set my blogs to private to see if I even wanted to continue writing publicly, and I know now that I do.  So, the social media spring break is officially over; and while there are some new changes for me now, I feel like I am home again.

16 comments:

  1. I don't do FACEBOOK, TWITTER, Tumblr, Instagram and yes, the earth still rotates. I subscribe to only Pinterest and blogger and it serves me fine. For the past week I've been trying to log on to your blog but was shut out and I became so sad because I love your blog. It inspires me to read more, and more classics too. So while you may have the urge to purge, please do not include this blog in the throwaway because I would be lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kim,
      Thank you so much for your kind words. I am humbled that you would be inspired by my blog. I will keep writing on this blog for as long as I have it in me. I just had to dump all of that other baggage to see what was burdening me and what I could live without.

      Delete
  2. I've been following, via Feedly, for a few months now and I'm glad you're back!!!
    I took a social media hiatus last summer and it was great. I had girl #3 coming and I just needed a break from it all. I learned I can live without Facebook and because of that I deleted it from my phone and I check it a few times a week on our computer. I don't love it but all my family lives out of town so I post pictures of my girls for them to see. I like Instagram because I can post to Facebook from it without getting on Facebook, which is what I do. And Instagram is less cluttered to me. I used to do twitter but don't anymore. I also can't get rid of Pinterest or Goodreads. I love them both and I don't have to me with them everyday.
    Please don't include this blog in your social media purge! I'm an avid reader (I was a lit major) but your posts inspire me to reread all the books I read in college plus many more! I asked for the Lewis and Clark journals for Christmas because of your post on it!!! ☺
    Thanks for writing about your reading!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ginny,
      Yes, I have that same issue w/ family scattered all over the United States, and I realize that by deleting my FB account, I have basically cut myself off from family members. Oh, well. I guess it's back to snail mail or actually talking to live people on the phone.
      I am humbled that you would be inspired by my posts and totally amazed that you wanted to read Lewis and Clark's journals. They were remarkable. I do hope you enjoyed them.

      Delete
  3. Social media are blessings and curses. I am not familiar with Pinterest (Luddite that I am), and I limit my efforts to Blogger (yeah, I am indeed a Luddite). However, I am glad that I get to "visit" and "befriend" folks through Blogger, so I guess I will stick with it (even though I regularly announce my departure at my blog, Beyond Eastrod). It is, I think a benign addiction. It is sort of like a journal with "friends" as co-authors and readers. Plus I know of no other outlet for my thoughts about authors, books, and the ups-and-downs of life Beyond Eastrod. BTW, Rousseau? Hmmmm. I guess my reading interests are too narrow. He never entered my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinterest is a great way to organize your interests and ideas w/ pictures. It's like a bulletin board. I love it. But I also use it to promote the posts on my blogs.

      As for Rousseau: the only reason I am reading him now is b/c of TWEM list of biographies.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on figuring out what actually will work with your life. I too have 5 kids. It is easy to get sucked into social media. I struggle with that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heidi! I also struggle w/ reading the news. That's another thing I have been working on. Who has time to read news homeschooling five kids, right?

      Delete
  5. Hey, I missed you!

    I'm thinking about social media as well - Twitter I don't use that much, Tumblr and Pinterest I've cut down on, and Blogger... well, let's face it, I haven't cut down on that ;) But Facebook is something I need to get rid of. I really do. I'm always in awe of people who delete it and yet I still stay on - how ridiculous!

    Oh, and Goodreads - will never get rid of Goodreads :)

    I'm think I'm due an internet break soon. On the whole I think I use it well - I learn a lot from other people and when I'm writing my own blog posts, and I do like checking in with the newspaper sites, but yes, I do waste time as well.

    Anyway, glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, o. Everyone has to find their own balance between work and pleasure and determine what is most important to them. And, yes, I've come to the conclusion that I cannot give up on my blog. : )

      Delete
  6. So that's what happened! I was wondering.

    I use Blogger, I use Pinterest, and I'm on Facebook. I tried Twitter and couldn't wrap my head around it, so I have an account, but I never use it. Same with GoodReads -- I have an account, but it's just not useful to me, I've discovered. And also Tumblr -- I have no idea how that is supposed to really work, so I don't really use it even though I created an account a while ago.

    And I only check Pinterest once or twice a week, because it is a total rabbit hole. I can fall into it and emerge, blinking, hours later. But it's really awesome for finding craft ideas for Sunday School or teaching ideas for my homeschooling, plus all those tasty recipes... so I don't think I'll be giving it up. Facebook, anymore, mostly gets used as my way to contact a bunch of friends at once to discuss plans for lunch after church or whatever, and also for sharing pictures with grandparents. There was a time before I was a parent when I read my whole newsfeed every day, but dude, I would get nothing done if I did that now.

    So congratulations on decluttering your online life! But I'm glad you're going to continue blogging :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hamlette,

      Thanks. I am encouraged by bloggers who limit themselves on social media. I thought I had to utilize all the options out there, like it was my job. But I'm glad to know that is not true. So I am grateful to be enlightened.

      I do love Pinterest. It's an organizer-geek's dream. For me, anyway. : )

      I really wanted to join your LW read-along, but I knew my schedule didn't provide for that extra time. I am trying to keep up with your posts to reminisce. Someday I hope to reread it again.

      Ruth

      Delete
    2. Yeah. I blog because I like to talk about movies and books, not because I want to be popular or see how many followers I can reach, or whatever.

      And not a problem about the read-along -- time is limited for us all! I totally understand.

      Delete
  7. Your remarks about the internet are apt. The internet is a time drain, which can be frustrating for everything else we want to accomplish. I'm glad to see you're back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was a good break, but I'm glad to be back in the blogosphere. : )

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete