Friday, December 5, 2014

Liebster Award, part II

Earlier this year I participated in the Liebster Award.  This week I was nominated by a couple of other bloggers.  So instead of posting the entire award again, I thought it would be fun to just answer their eleven questions that they asked of their nominees.  Thank you, Sara and Marian!

From Sara @ Majoring in Literature

1.  What is the first book you remember reading?  

I read this as a kid and loved it.  Now I own a copy, and my kids have memorized it.

2.  Where do you like to read?   In my bed.  But I take a book with me everywhere I go and will read anywhere.  
3.  Starting at the very top of your bookcase, what are the first five books you have on your shelves?  It's my history shelf:        
1776 - McCullough
Sounding Forth the Trumpet - Marshall
The Five-Thousand Year Leap - Skousen
The Roots of American Order - Kirk
A Patriot's History of the United States - Schweikart
4.  If you could meet one author, living or dead, for coffee, whom would you meet?  Mark Twain.
5.  How do you feel about seeing a movie adaptation before you’ve read the book?  I don't like to, but I have. 
6.  What is your favourite adaptation of a book?  I don't think I have one.
7.  Which character from fiction would you most like to be?  Well, sometimes I think it would be fun to be Elizabeth Bennet.  
8.  Which book do you recommend to others the most?  I actually do not practice this.
9.  Which book have you re-read the most?  A Christmas Carol - Dickens (4X)  
10.  How do you feel about eBooks?  I will not touch electronic books.  My husband tells me I would love it, but why?  I love holding a book in my hands and writing on the pages.  Electronics would frustrate me.
11.  Where do you get most of your books from? Library, bookstore, online?  I buy a lot of used books @ Amazon or library sales, and sometimes I buy new books from Barnes & Noble, when I get gift certificates.

From Marian @ Tanglewood Classic Lit

1)  What was the most challenging book you ever read?  Challenging because of its size?  War and Peace - Tolstoy; challenging because of its content? Unbroken - Hillenbrand; challenging because of the writing?  Great Expectations - Dickens, or Persuasion - Austen
2)  Who is your favorite romantic couple from literature?  Out of all of the broken romantic relationships I have read about, the one that remains well-grounded is Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth of Persuasion.


Captain Wentworth and Anne Elliot

3)  What is your favorite friendship from literature?  Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn
4)  Is there a book you used to like but don't like anymore?  The Scarlet Letter - Hawthorne
5)  What was a nonfiction book you were glad you read?  The Journals of Lewis and Clark, The Four Voyages - Columbus, and Of Plymouth Plantation - William Bradford  (I could not decide on one.)
6)  Name a book someone recommended to you (which you may or may not have read yet).  Gone With the Wind - Mitchell
7)  How do you order your books on the shelf?  Right now: by topic or genre and then alphabetical order by author.
8)  Is there a character that you wish appeared in more books?  Have not thought about it.
9)  Which author's writings intimidate you?  Austen and Dickens, in some cases.
10)  Describe a memorable setting or scene (spoiler-free) from a book, and how it made you feel.  I love the setting of The Return of the Native - Hardy.  You just have to read it.  Basically, the setting is a character, too.
11)  The age-old question: paperback or hardcover?  I love paperbacks more than hardcover.  They are easier to read.

21 comments:

  1. & you certainly did read Gone with the Wind :) I'm so glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to reading it again someday, too.

      Delete
  2. re: #3 books on your bookshelf: I see that we're dealing with an intellectual heavyweight. Wow! ;-)

    You won't touch e-books?! You're my hero! I caved because of the cheap cost of most of the classics (usually nothing) but I usually end up trying to search for the book anyway. Yet I have a book problem that keeps growing ...... 17 bookcases and still nowhere to put anything! Argh!

    I enjoyed reading your answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same experience with ebooks! I tell myself to give them a try, but after the first few chapters I figure it would be so much better for me to get a real copy of the book. It definitely makes a difference in the reading experience. ^^

      Delete
    2. Maybe I'm more of a history junkie. : )

      I have saved so many free books to my Amazon Cloud, but I have yet to read them. I don't know what I was thinking when I saved them.

      Did you say you had 17 bookcases??????

      Delete
  3. I really liked reading your responses! I definitely sometimes think it would be fun to be Elizabeth Bennet too; I'd love to be as quick-witted and sharp as she is. Also the Mr Darcy time would be quite fun as well. :D I also found Persuasion a little harder to get into than some of Austen's other books, but by the end I loved it. Anne and Wentworth are definitely a great couple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! I was almost going to add that it would be fun to be Lizzie AFTER she gets together w/ Darcy, but I left it out. Imagine having to deal with her younger sisters.

      Delete
  4. The second lot of questions were very interesting. I'm tempted to answer them as well!

    But I'm curious...what has put you off The Scarlet Letter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Scarlet Letter was my favorite in grade school, and I had high expectations for it when I reread it; but I think this time I was a little sensitive to how annoying Pearl was, and how hypocritical the religious community was. However, I also think that Hawthorne had some prejudices against the Puritans, and later research confirmed this. I think he was a little unfair. But back to the story: I bet I would like it again if I reread it and ignored those outside influences by the author.

      Delete
    2. Pearl made my blood run cold sometimes. I found her eerie.

      As regards Hawthorne's portrayal of the Puritans, I can't really comment. However, I do think that this could represent any pocket of Christians, no matter which denomination they belong to. I'm not saying hypocrisy is a part of every Christian community, only that it is fairly common and quite like how Hawthorne deals with this here.

      Delete
  5. I loved reading your answers!!

    The I Can Read books were awesome when I was younger!!

    Great Expectations was sooo hard!!!

    Yeah, I don't like the Scarlet Letter. It got a little boring :(

    Paperbacks are soooo much better than hard covers!!! I like the cheap mass market ones the best :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was fun reading your answers! I also like paperbacks better, and I remember feeling that Jane Austen's writing style was certainly challenging. It's been so many years, though, I should revisit some of her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thank you for nominating me. I enjoyed answering your questions.

      Delete
  7. I swore I would not read e-books, but then we got smart phones a couple months ago, and mine had the Kindle app. So I have downloaded a Zane Grey book for free that my library doesn't have, and I'm slowly reading through it in spare moments like while my kids take a bath. If I end up liking the book, I'll buy a "real" copy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would probably do the same thing - get a hard copy. I'm sure, I could find reasons for adapting to e-books, but I have no desire to start. (My husband wants me to get a smart phone b/c I still have one of those stupid phones, but I really don't want one. I don't even want the phone I have. That's how backwards I am.)

      Delete
    2. I miss my clamshell phone. I could flip it open and imagine I was Captain Kirk, answering a hail from the Enterprise. Also, it fit in my pants pocket better, and I could navigate it easier. I'm still getting used to the smart phone, and I've had it since October. The only reason we got them was that we switched from Verizon to Ting, and Ting didn't have flip phones :-( (We're saving $50-$70 every month, which is why we switched, so I guess some hassle and annoyance is worth that much.) The Kindle app is one of the few things I like on this phone.

      Delete
    3. : D

      Well, I've never heard of Ting, and you are saving $50-$70???? I'll be checking that out. But I still don't want a smart phone. : (

      Delete
    4. Yes, and we can text way more than before, and use data too. It uses the Sprint network and has Android phones. It's pretty amazing.

      Delete
  8. I definitely agree with the Anne/Wentworth answer. Persuasion is one of my favourite novels and their relationship is probably the most complex and real of all the couple's in Austen's novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it lovely? (And I don't even use lovely to describe anything.)

      You know...there is a Persuasion read-along starting January 5th...

      Delete