Monday, November 24, 2014

Willa Cather Reading Week, 2014

Heavenali is hosting a week of reading Willa Cather, beginning December 7th.

From her blog:
Willa Cather was born on December 7th 1873 and grew up in Virginia and Nebraska. She became known particularly for her novels of frontier life, featuring the Bohemian immigrants she had known growing up in Red Cloud, Nebraska, although the themes of her novels are not restricted to pioneer life. In 1922 she won the Pulitzer Prize for her novel set during the First World War – One of Ours.

Willa Cather is now certainly regarded as one of the great American writers, a writer I re-connected with a couple of years ago, and I am now trying to read everything she wrote. I have read several of her novels already, have another five sitting here waiting to be read, but as yet have not read any of her short stories. A reading week therefore is just what I need to focus on reading some Cather, and share my enthusiasm for her work. I would love to get lots of people reading her novels and stories, talking about her and sharing thoughts about her books on blogs.
Novels
• Alexander’s Bridge (1912)
• O Pioneers! (1913)
• The Song of the Lark (1915)
• My Ántonia (1918)
• One of Ours (1922)
• A Lost Lady (1923)
• The Professor’s House (1925)
• My Mortal Enemy (1926)
• Death Comes for the Archbishop (1927)
• Shadows on the Rock (1931)
• Lucy Gayheart (1935)
• Sapphira and the Slave Girl (1940)

Collections

• April Twilights (1903, poetry)
• The Troll Garden (1905, short stories)
• Youth and the Bright Medusa (1920, short stories)
• Obscure Destinies (1932, three stories)
• Not Under Forty (1936, essays)
• The Old Beauty and Others (1948, three stories)
• Willa Cather: On Writing (1949, essays)
• Five Stories (1956, published by the Estate of Willa Cather)
• The Selected Letters of Willa Cather (published 2013)

Please feel free to tweet/talk about and share the event on your blogs and I’d love to know if you’re thinking of joining in. Several of her books are available from Project Gutenberg, so expenditure isn’t even necessary :)
______________________________________________________________

As for me, I will be reading My Ántonia.  I sure hope I can get through it in a week.


6 comments:

  1. Sounds fun! I have Alexander's Bridge on my bookshelf. It's a novella from Melville Publishing House. I'm trying to read through many of those classic novellas. I don't think I'll be able to get to it this week though because I'm hosting a large group for Thanksgiving. I'll look forward to reading your posts on My Antonia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I see I've barely scratched the surface w/ Willa Cather. I've not heard of Alexander's Bridge.

      Delete
  2. Have fun! I haven't decided if I can do this one yet. I have to wait another week or so and see what books I finish and then I'll have a better idea. Aren't I getting to be a good, responsible reader? Do you remember when I'd just say "yes" to everything? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Good for you! Some of these reading challenges or ideas are just too good to say, "No."

      Delete
  3. I will check this out. Willa Cather is an author I definitely need to read more of. I think the only thing I've read by her is My Antonia, and that way back in high school. Definitely a gap in my literary life that needs to be filled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WC is a wonderful writer. I enjoyed O Pioneers! very much.

      Delete