Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: ten authors I need to read more of


 and need to read more.


Often I have enjoyed reading the answers to these fun questions put out by The Broke and the Bookish and have coveted the time to answer them myself.  Since it will be awhile before I am able to write about a book I finish, I am anxious to write about some bookish things right now.  This is my first time participating.

These are the authors I have read only one book from and definitely want to read more:

1. Émile Zola 


My first read was Germinal earlier this year, and instantly I was captivated.  I plan to start from the very beginning of the series, but I don't know why I am taking so long to just buy the first book. Definitely in 2015!

2.  Willa Cather


I read O Pioneers! and loved the beauty of Cather's writing and the simplicity of the story.  I bought My Ántonia and keep leaving it at the top of my TBR list.  

3.  Fyodor Dostoevsky


Crime and Punishment intimidated me for its Russian-ness, but I really, really enjoyed Constance Garnett's translation.  So I have since picked up two more titles from Dostoevsky with the intent to read them.  

4.  Virginia Woolf


Oh, how Mrs. Dalloway perplexed me, but I think Woolf intrigues me more than anything.  I have to read something else from her.

5.  Franz Kafka


The Trial was so strange, and I really liked it.  I want more weirdness!  The next one I read from Kafka will be Metamorphosis.  

6.  Ayn Rand


A lot of people pass on Rand because she is severely intense!!!  No, I mean, SEVERELY INTENSE!!!  One must keep a dictionary open, which may handicap the entire reading experience. That is how I felt about The Fountainhead.  However, I share Rand's philosophies, and if I wrote fiction, I would have written The Fountainhead myself.  One day I will read Atlas Shrugged. 

7.  Ernest Hemingway


I cannot believe I have only read one Hemingway in my life: The Old Man and the Sea.   A few bloggers have given me lists of what to read next by Hemingway, and they are on my TBR list.

8.  J.R.R. Tolkien


I know...I have only read The Hobbit, and not The Lord of the Rings, yet.  I will.  But before that, I really want to read Tolkien's version of Beowulf first.  

While I did not make it to ten, I did include eight of the most pressing authors I am inspired to read more of as soon as I find the time.  


8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you have decided to read all of Zola's Rougon-Macquart cycle.

    My list would be:
    1. Edith Wharton -- have read The House of Mirth, and definitely loved her. I have The Age of Innocence and Ethan Frome on my TBR piles, will read one of them (or 2?...) on 2015!
    2. Fyodor Dostoyevsky -- have read Notes from Underground, and would love to read Crime and Punishment next year.
    3. Henry James -- I loved his The Portrait of A Lady, and have been planning to get to The Golden Bowl next year.
    4. Anton Chekhov -- I was impressed with The Cherry Orchard, and have meant to read more of his plays.
    5. George Bernard Shaw -- same as Chekhov, I loved Jean d'Arc, and is curious to read his other plays.
    6. John Steinbeck -- I have read Of Mice & Men years ago. The Grapes of Wrath is on my WEM list, and I think I am interested in Cannery Row as well.

    They are all I can think of. I have read Mrs. Dalloway too, but I don't think I would like to read from her again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment. : )

      I would have put Steinbeck on my list, too, but I've read a couple from him: Of Mice and Men and The Pearl. But one I really want to read is Grapes of Wrath. Hopefully next year.

      Delete
  2. You *** gasp **** haven't read The Lord **** shudders **** of the Rings yet? *** faints on the floor **** Ha ha! Just kidding. I have never seen E.T., which seems to shock everyone. And I haven't read a full book of Margaret Atwood's either, which horrifies some. :-)

    Cather and Hemingway are two more I could have added to my list. I'm surprised you liked Rand. I haven't read any of her works yet but I've been warned. I was prepared to fight off any temptation to read her, but since I trust your judgement, you've given me new hope.

    Great list! Now I have some more authors to consider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I know. I need to read it to my kids b/c they are obsessed with LOTR. They've watched every movie ever made, old and new, and everything in between. I'm not into fantasy much, but I did like The Hobbit, a lot.

      Rand is CHALLENGING. It's like War and Peace on steroids.

      Delete
  3. Hello. I found you by following a link from Classical Carousel, one of my favorite blogs. Love what I see here. It looks like you and I are on a similar journey toward a classical education. I read The Well-Educated Mind about four years ago and it really resonated with me. It was one on the things that made me see how spotty my education had been. And I have a B.A. in English! I too have also only read The Hobbit and have been meaning to get to the rest of TLOTR series. I'm a little better on Dostoyevsky but batting zero on Emile Zola. Definitely want to put him on list. I read every word of Atlas Shrugs but am hesitant about tackling any more Ayn Rand. Atlas Shrugs may be enough Ayn Rand for one lifetime. I've been a little slow to embrace Hemingway also - so far just several short stories, The Sun Also Rises, and A Moveable Feast (which I really loved). Thanks for a great blog that encourages reading the classics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. I am really glad to meet you.

      Funny that you said Atlas Shrugged was enough Rand for a lifetime. You may be right b/c its been almost 20 years since I read Fountainhead, and I am not eager to read AS; I just know I want to accomplish it at some point. I know it will be tough.

      Hemingway is not an easy author to like, I know. My husband hated The Sun Also Rises, but I really appreciated Old Man and the Sea. I heard good things about A Moveable Feast.

      Thanks for introducing yourself.

      P.S. I enjoyed going through your blog. I will definitely be stopping by often.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you've been inspired to read more Zola! Germinal is such a great novel.

    I've always wanted to take the time to read through a single author's entire oeuvre, but reading through an entire series of novels like Zola's Les Rougon-Macquart or even all of Hemingway's novels is such a time commitment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. But I should get started anyway and see how it goes. I don't think I will read them back to back though. I found that I needed a long period of contemplation after Germinal, and I couldn't think about getting into another one so soon after. Six months later, I feel like I am ready for another one.

      Delete