Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: What's on your fall TBR list?



What's on your fall TBR list?

1. War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy


2. The History of the Kings of Britain, by Geoffrey Monmouth


3. The Complete Essays, by Michael de Montaigne


4.  The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis (The Horse and His Boy, The Magician's Nephew, The Last Battle)


5. The Story of the Grail and the Passing of Arthur, by Howard Pyle


6.  Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott


7.  My Ántonia, by Willa Cather


8.  The Life of Saint Teresa of Avila by Herself


9.  Meditations, by Descartes 


10. Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners, by John Bunyan


The first four are actually summer reads, which have taken me this long to read that now it is autumn. Number five counts towards my Arthurian Lit Challenge, and numbers eight, nine, and ten count towards TWEM biography list.  But the two books that I anticipate reading more than any others this fall are Little Women and My Ántonia.  Lately, I have been craving a lovely story to read, and I am hoping either one of these will deliver.

14 comments:

  1. We've got War and Peace in common :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope to finish this before winter. I especially love reading it out loud b/c it forces me to sound out those Russian and German names.

      Delete
  2. Wow, you're very ambitious! I considered putting Narnia on my list as well, since I've only read the first one. I definitely need to read the rest of the books. Oh, and I love LITTLE WOMEN. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Chronicles of Narnia I am reading aloud to my kids, usually in the evening, and we only do about 1-2 chapters at a time. Very slow going. Besides The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, I think the Silver Chair was my next favorite.

      Delete
  3. Great selection and you are quite ambitious. However, I think giant classics are perfect for chilly autumn days. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I thought summer would allow me more time to read, but cold nights are perfect for staying indoors and reading under a warm blanket. : )

      Delete
  4. Wow, you are ambitious! Montaigne AND Tolstoy AND Geoffrey! Zowie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only reading the suggested WEM chapters from Montaigne (though not enjoying very much). W&P is taking a long time b/c I have to find the perfect time to read it. However, The History of the Kings is going quickly. I read that when I take the girls to dance classes and have a few hours to sit. But I'm not really juggling my books all at the same time.

      Delete
  5. I can't believe that your list looks worse than mine! Oops, perhaps not worse, just more ambitious? ;-) I hope you love My Antonia as much as I did. Cather really takes you into the story and you feel immersed in it. A great read.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! You're the champ.

      I'm so excited. I cannot wait to get started on Little Women and My Antonia. October for sure.

      Delete
  6. This is a great list! War and Peace is on my TBR list but I don't know if I'll get to it this fall. Little Women I also want to read, as well as My Antonia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. War and Peace...The History of the Kings of Britain...yikes! You've got quite a lot of intense reading ahead of you. Hope its not too overwhelming for ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My biggest obstacle is finding the time to read.

      W&P is so enjoyable, and Kings of Britain is not that difficult at all.

      Delete