Tuesday, August 12, 2014

I Love Library Used Book Sales!

Several weeks ago, I found these used books for sale at my library:


The Sound and the Fury, by William Faulkner
Dracula, by Bram Stoker
Howards End, by E.M. Forster
Jo's Boys, by Louisa M. Alcott
Little Men, by Louisa May Alcott
Notes From the Underground, by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston
In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote
Sons and Lovers, by D.H. Lawrence
The Jungle, by Upton Sinclair (not pictured)

Some of them I know from book lists I have collected, and others I know from blog posts I have read. I am looking forward to reading all of them at some point - though a few more than others, such as: Sound and the Fury, Howards End, Their Eyes Were Watching God, Sons and Lovers, and The Jungle (which I forgot I also bought).  I still need to read Little Women before I read Little Men, although I bought the Alcott books for my 14-year old who is in the process of reading all of Alcott's books.  And I think In Cold Blood sounds really interesting, but I have yet to read any review of it.  Of course, I look forward to anything by Dostoevsky.  However, I have not decided what to think about Dracula.  I suppose I shall know after I eventually read it.

So I am curious: have you read any of these?  If so, what did you think?  

13 comments:

  1. Oh, those are great! I'm jealous of the Alcott and Hurston! I would love to find those at a library book sale.

    I've read The Sound and the Fury, and I didn't like it much at all. Faulkner and I just don't jive--but I understand why people like him. I'd recommend reading the Cliff Notes of each chapter while reading because it's very strange and confusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep that in mind when I come to Sound and the Fury. I'll probably give it a try first, but sometimes I use some online sources to help me better understand what I just read. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Anything by Dostoevsky is great, right? I haven't read this one yet, but I've read The Eternal Husband and Crime and Punishment. I have The Brother's Karamazov on my shelf. I'll have to work myself up to that monster. Notes from the Underground is shorter, so that's good.

    I've been wanting to read several of these selections for several years now. You got a great stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Brother's Karamazov is also on my TBR list, too. I cannot wait to get to it, but I am a little intimidated by its size, also. It's quite a commitment.

      Delete
  3. So jealous! I love used library used book sales too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Library sales are so much fun! Looks like you got a great book haul. I actually loved Dracula; it is so much better than the stereotypical/Hollywood Dracula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of all the book blog posts I have read on the internet, I have not read about Dracula; and I have only heard someone say something not very promising. So you're opinion is encouraging. I was leery of reading Frankenstein for that same reason, but was grateful that I did b/c it is an important work. Hopefully Dracula will have the same result.

      Delete
  5. I love library book sales as well. I once bought over twenty books at a library book sale for 50 cents a piece, used, but good quality classics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!

      And library book sales are a whole lot cheaper than private used book stores. So when you can find even one classic, you've done well.

      Delete
  6. Mmmmmm, library book sales!

    Dracula is not like the movies. It's a character study, and it's great. A bit slow at times, and mostly (all?) epistolary, but no slower than a lot of classics :-)

    Let's see... I've also read Little Men (LOVE it!), Jo's Boys (like it), In Cold Blood (chilling and gripping), and I tried Sound and the Fury but gave up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have ever seen Dracula the movie, although I remember Love at First Bite, which was a comedy. Nonetheless, a character study sounds interesting.

      And Sound and the Fury sounds like it is going to be challenging. Eeek!

      Delete
  7. The Sound and the Fury is daunting! While I respect his writing, it's just run on sentence after run on sentence. I was a Lit major in college and had to read several of his books. Not a huge fan of his stuff!

    I really enjoyed In Cold Blood. I read it a few years ago because it had been sitting on my shelf for years. He's a great writer. It's a creepy book, though. It just hits hard because what happened to the family could happen to anyone.

    I loved The Jungle, as well. I think I read that one while in college. It's definitely worth reading again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ginny. I am getting similar feedback about a lot of these titles. Now I am getting excited about reading In Cold Blood and The Jungle.

      Delete