Monday, August 18, 2014

History Reading Challenge 2014, 2nd Check-In


Checking in on my history reading progress, so far I have read five books:

1. The Four Voyages, by Christopher Columbus
2. Of Plymouth Plantation, by William Bradford
3. Mourt's Relation, by various
4. Visible Saints, by Edmund Morgan
5. The Puritan Dilemma, by Edmund Morgan

Are you on schedule or left behind?
Being that I am reading my very last book right now, I feel like I am ahead of schedule, actually.

What is your most favorite so far?
At this time, I have enjoyed all five of them equally, and I cannot choose a favorite.

Which history are you looking forward to read?
I was looking forward to the one that I am reading right now, The Journals of Lewis and Clark, and I still am enjoying it very much.

This has been a wonderful journey through history.  First, I only planned three books, but I was inspired to read more about the Pilgrims and added three more titles to my list.  Meanwhile, I designed it so that each story built upon the last: from the "discovery" of the Americas, to the first pilgrims arriving in America, to the further exploration and discovery of the West.  It has been a great learning experience.

Thanks, Fanda!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, 5 of 6 already? Great!
    And it's a very good idea to read the books by chronological order.
    Good luck with your most anticipating history, then.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! This is a challenge that I've been struggling with. I think I've only read 2 so far, but I have 2 more almost finished so perhaps it's not as bad as it feels.

    I just read The Witch of Blackbird Pond, so I'm planning to go back over your "Puritan" posts to understand them better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cleo. Hey, you've got plenty of time to finish those other two. No problem.

      Well, I have never heard of The Witch of Blackbird Pond, but I'll have to check out your review of it.

      Delete
  3. That's awesome! I'm not participating in the challenge, but I've read 3 history books this year. I'm planning to read Unbroken to add to that list before the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read Unbroken, too! Put it on the list.

      Delete