Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Old Man and the Sea Read-Along



When I was in fourth grade, The Old Man and the Sea was required reading.  It became one of my favorite, memorable books.  I loved the story of the old man's perseverance.

Years later (about five years ago), I required my high schooler to read it.  I reread it, too, to get reacquainted with it and discuss it with my son; but I did not like it (anymore).  I hated Hemingway's long-windedness.

Earlier this year, I began to have Hemingway-withdrawals, and I thought about rereading The Old Man and the Sea, to test if my experience would be different this time around.

It just so happens that Hamlette @ The Edge of the Precipice is hosting The Old Man and the Sea read-along, beginning July 21st (Hemingway's b-day). The novella is super short and should only take a few days to read.  It is time to revisit TOMatS again and see what the issue is, or is not.

Join the discussion!  If it is your first time or third time, see The Edge of the Precipice for more info and to sign up.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out, Ruth! I'm getting set to wind up the LOTR read-along today, and then will be posting more about my plans for this one :-) Won't be long now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Thanks for setting this up. I always need encouragement. Imagine being intimidated by a little Hemingway!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for suggesting it! You know, I think Hemingway has such a BIG reputation that people get intimidated by him, or dislike him because they've heard he's dislikable, or whatever. So good for you for giving his books a try at all!

      Delete
  2. That's wonderful that you're joining in too! I think I've been having read-along-withdrawal. Can't wait to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I am curious what my third experience will be like.

      Delete
  3. I cannot get into Hemingway at all, but I may give this one another shot - it is very short! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the good thing is that it is short. And for me, I am just have to be open-minded about it, and look at it with new eyes.

      Delete
    2. I re-read it last month to start preparing for the read-along, and oh my goodness! I liked it so much better than the first time! So maybe you will too :-) And even if you don't... it's short :-)

      Delete