Monday, June 23, 2014

Taking a Break


I am feeling eager to read, but it is not feasible.  At some point I had to admit that I may not be able to read or write for awhile, and that it is best to put the longing aside. So, that is what I am doing right now.

It was ambitious of me to think, after all, that I would tackle a pile of books this summer when my summer was already a tower of plans in itself.  I do not have the energy to read; if I force myself to read under these circumstances, it is hasty and careless reading.

Therefore, it's official: I am going to take several weeks off from reading and writing, put aside my feelings, and catch up later.  Everything will have to wait for several weeks: War and Peace, Little Women, My Antonia, The Hunger Games...even reading to the kids, The Chronicles of Narnia.

Hoping to be back sooner than later.  Enjoy your summer.

14 comments:

  1. Ruth, I hope you have a wonderful break and are able to find time to relax and to revitalize yourself. Summer is supposed to be a time of renewal and growth. A break sounds like a excellent choice! Wishing you a peaceful summer!

    Peace & Blessings,
    Cleo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cleo!

      I may be able to finish Confessions this Thursday. (My daughter volunteers at the library 2 hours a week, and I usually read during that time.) I am in the last book, with not much to go. However, I won't be able to do a review of it for a few weeks, but I'll try to keep up with you guys answering questions on Goodreads. Then I'll catch up with you next month with our next book.

      Have fun!

      Delete
    2. Do you still want to read the next book in July or would you prefer to skip a month and start in August? I'm find either way and actually would be even more fine if you wanted to start in August ... ;-)

      Delete
    3. No, you guys continue reading on your own schedules, and I will catch up with you.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear. I quit reading books so I could have time to read your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. : ) Tammy, you are so funny. Well, now you have some time to catch up on your reading again.

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your break, Ruth! Perhaps this will give me time to catch up with you in the WEM reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, sure. That would be great!

      Delete
  4. Take care and enjoy your summer! See you on the flip side :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been in a reading slow-down myself this month. Been reading the same 3 books for weeks now! And it's not that they're huge (okay, LOTR is, but I'm nearly finished with it, at least), it's just the same problem you're having -- not enough time! Ugh.

    So don't beat yourself up about it. The books aren't going anywhere, and neither is your blog. Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete