Monday, June 16, 2014

How My Library Grows

Gold Mine

My mother gave me money for Mother's Day (which is funny, but she is very generous), and  I told her I would buy books with it.  Normally, I purchase used books through Amazon.com; but this called for a Barnes & Noble visit.

It is not safe to turn me lose in Barnes & Noble without a plan; therefore, I thought about the books that had received rave reviews by other bloggers, and I went hunting.  If only I remembered who you are, then I would have been able to give credit.

For example, someone mentioned that a posthumously published version of Beowulf, by J.R.R. Tolkien, was available.  I found a copy!

Over the last few months alone, I have read numerous worthy reviews about Middlemarch, by George Eliot.  A chunkster.

A friend of mine suggested that I read The Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins, while I also read a post somewhere about it, too.  Another chunkster.

And I had to get a better copy of Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott, which I hope to read this year.  I think I am really going to connect with this book.  Of course, Jillian has been telling me to read this for a few years (since I joined The Classics Club).

Also, I just read someone's enthusiastic review about East of Eden, by Steinbeck.  I have always been curious about this one.

In addition, at my local library's used bookstore, I found lovely copies of numerous classics that I would have bought, if I did not already own them.  (I hate when that happens.)  But I did find this: Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.   Again, I know I saw this somewhere in a blog post, and I made a mental note to get a copy somehow, somewhere!


That's how it happens - how my library grows; even if I do not comment on a post, I am taking mental notes and am influenced by others' reviews.  If I end up reading whatever it is and I do not like it, then nothing has changed; but if I like it, then you have helped to create a new fan.  So, thanks!

And thanks, Mom (I think), for contributing to my habit.

17 comments:

  1. That is one outstanding new stash! :)

    I LOVE Little Women - hope you enjoy it! And let me know what you make of Beowulf. I've read the Heaney translation and I enjoyed it, but very intrigued by the Tolkien translation...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, o. I had no idea you liked Little Women, too. Great! More supporting evidence for its value. And I will definitely write about this Beowulf translation, as soon as I read it. I've read the Serraillier translation, which was fine with me, but how can I not read Tolkien's, right?

      Delete
    2. I know! :)

      By the way, I think Marian was possibly the one to draw your attention to Tolkien :)

      Delete
  2. So jealous that you got a copy of Tolkien's translation of Beowulf. Can't wait for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was that you, Fariba, who wrote up that review on Tolkien? I searched and searched, but I just could not remember. Anyway, I cannot wait to read it. : )

      Delete
    2. I wrote a review on The Hobbit last week but I have never written a review on Tolkien's Beowulf.

      Delete
    3. That's right; and the Tolkien post was actually just an announcement that it was released.

      Delete
  3. I'm so very happy you're going to try Little Women. :) I love the Barnes and Noble classics books. The font size is perfect -- I love the notes, the Introductions, everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. My old copy of LW had tiny font, so I decided I would invest in a better one. I gravitate toward the B&N classics, too.

      Delete
  4. Oh, what a great book haul! The Woman in White is a page-turner; I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it. And Beowulf, too. If B&N has it in store, I might have to stop by there soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm anxious to start reading them all, maybe within the next 6-12 months. (That may be ambitious.)

      Delete
  5. Yay Mom and what a great haul! I am itching to go book shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I love book shopping. The problem, however, is adding more books than I can read them. Ugh!

      Delete
  6. Wow....what a book haul! And your mom is very generous...
    I haven't read all of them, but am planning to read Little Women next year. I don't think I'm going to like it, but, who knows? Happy reading, Ruth, and enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Yes, my Mom is extremely generous.
      This will be my first time reading LW. Next year, we'll compare notes.

      Delete
  7. Rats! I am having problems with comments today. I posted three identical comments on Jean's blog and now my comment on yours has disappeared. Well, the long and short of it was that all these books look great! I've read all but East of Eden (and, of course, Beowulf) and highly recommend them. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sorry, Cleo. It's happened a couple of times on my blog, and it happened to me just last week on someone else's. I can't explain it.

      I do hope to get these read within the next 12 months. But it will be a miracle, I think.

      Delete