Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Happy Birthday, Victor Hugo.

Victor Hugo
February 26, 1802 to May 22, 1885

Life
To die is nothing; but it is terrible not to live.
Work
Work, which makes a man free, and thought, which makes him worthy of freedom. 
Work is the law of life,and to reject it as boredom is to submit to it as torment.
God
Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.
Writing
 If a writer wrote merely for his time, I would have to break my pen and throw it away.
Laughter
 Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Love
What a grand thing, to be loved! What a grander thing still, to love!
Ideas
All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come. 
Be yourself
Change your opinions, keep to your principles; change your leaves, keep intact your roots.
Individual worth
There are no weeds, and no worthless men. There are only bad farmers. (From Les Misérables)

Quotes taken from The Quotations Page and The Science Christian Monitor


3 comments:

  1. I love these quotes, especially the ones about work, God and writing. I've only read Les Miserables, but your post is a timely reminder to add more of his works to my TBR list.

    I wonder if Hugo during his lifetime, ever thought that almost 150 years later people would still be celebrating his birthday?

    Happy Birthday, Victor! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the one about God b/c it reminds me of the Bible verse, "Be still, and know that I am God." I don't know why, but it does.

      I bet he would be humbled if he knew the world was still celebrating him and his works all these years.

      Delete
  2. The last quote, about farmers, made me chuckle aloud. Very nice! Happy birthday, Mr. Hugo!

    ReplyDelete