Thursday, November 21, 2013

Mount TBR Reading Challenge 2014

All right!  I gave myself a few hours to think about it, and I have decided to set myself up for another challenge in 2014 because my TBR list  is growing out of control.  

I discovered the Mount TBR Challenge 2014 at Classical Carousel and Howling Frog Books; it is hosted by Bev @ My Reader's Block.  

It is probably best that I start small, so I am going with Pike's Peak, which is 12 books for the whole year.  Soon, I will produce a list of books from my TBR to commit to next year.



Here are some rules:

Challenge Levels:

Pike's Peak: Read 12 books from your TBR pile/s

Mount Blanc: Read 24 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Vancouver: Read 36 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Ararat: Read 48 books from your TBR piles/s
Mt. Kilimanjaro: Read 60 books from your TBR pile/s
El Toro: Read 75 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Everest: Read 100 books from your TBR pile/s

Mount Olympus (Mars): Read 150+ books from your TBR pile/s

*Once you choose your challenge level, you are locked in for at least that many books. If you find that you're on a mountain-climbing roll and want to tackle a taller mountain, then you are certainly welcome to upgrade.  All books counted for lower mountains may carry over towards the new peak.

*Challenge runs from January 1 to December 31, 2014.

*You may sign up anytime from now until November 30th, 2014.

*Books must be owned by you prior to January 1, 2014. No ARCs (none), no library books. No rereads. [The intention is to reduce the stack of books that you have bought for yourself. Audiobooks and E-books may count if they are yours and they are one of your primary sources of backlogged books.]

*You may count any "currently reading" book that you begin prior to January 1--provided that you had 50% or more of the book left to finish in 2014.  I will trust you all on that.

*Books may be used to count for other challenges as well.

*Feel free to submit your list in advance (as incentive to really get those books taken care of) or to tally them as you climb.

*There will be quarterly check-ins and prize drawings!

*A blog and reviews are not necessary to participate.

10 comments:

  1. Only 12, you say?! That means either you are very responsible and have read most of the books that you own (unlike me), or you are setting a reasonable challenge for yourself instead of biting off more than you can chew (also, unlike me). ;-)

    I will be interested to see your list. My list is so "flexible" that I don't dare do a fixed one; inevitably I forget books I must read or mid-year I decide to concentrate on a certain topic and end up substituting.

    Good luck, Ruth, on your Mount TBR Reading Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm taking baby steps. I'd love to read more on my list, but I think it may be too ambitious. My WEM list has to come first though; all those other books are secondary.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the Climbing Crew! Good luck with Pike's Peak--and you can always aim for a higher peak later if you find yourself climbing faster than you thought you would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting this challenge, Bev. i am excited about forcing myself to chose some books on my TBR list and just do it! I am glad there is an opportunity for me to move up just in case. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. At first, I was like, "Sign me up for Mt. Ararat!" And then I saw that they have to be books you own, not including things from the library. And my library TBR list is about 4 times the size of my home TBR list. Hmm. I'll have to ponder this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand. That is a dilemma.

      Delete
    2. P.S. I happen to find a challenge and thought of your situation:
      http://mybookdragon.blogspot.com/2013/10/i-love-library-books-reading-challenge.html
      It's a reading challenge for TBR from the library!

      Delete
    3. Wow! Thanks! I just might join that one. I've never really done a blog-run book challenge before, so it's about time, right?

      Delete
    4. I have decided to participate in both! Thanks again for the encouragement.

      Delete
    5. How fun. I look forward to see how it works out.

      Delete