Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A Confession

It feels like I have not written in a long time, and still it is not like I have anything to write about - review wise; but I will anyway.  I am almost to part three in George Orwell's 1984, which is about 2/3 of the way through the book, and I am on chapter three of Persuasion by Jane Austen.

Earlier this month, I tried to reread Jane Eyre, one of my favorites, but stopped about 1/3 of the way through because I was not reading it honestly or thoroughly.  I realized it was not how I wanted to read or reread a book.  It may be that it is just too soon to reread it right now.  So I put it down.

Then I began school with my kids (we homeschool), and I felt anxious to read during the times while I was waiting for them to finish their work.  I wanted to look at the next book on The Well-Educated Mind list, which was The Stranger by Albert Camus.  I just wanted to peek at it, really. But then I started to read it, and I couldn't put it down.  It was just a little book, and I read it so quickly. I felt terrible because I told myself I would read along with the others in the blogosphere who were also reading through TWEM.  But I failed.

To make matters worse, I did not follow TWEM regiment, which is to write up a one- to two-sentence summary after each chapter and then answer in-depth questions upon completing the book.  Instead, I went on a rant and rave again.  Ugh!  Now that I am reading 1984 (yeah, I moved right on to 1984 without even thinking about it), it looks like I am doomed to repeat myself.  I wonder if I will ever return to the program because I am not collecting enough info to write up summaries.


And why am I reading Persuasion at the same time?  That's like mixing a dark beer with champagne. It is literally one extreme to the next.  I am like a train wreck waiting to happen.  I think I need an intervention.  Look!  Here is a website to compare the two opposing titles side by side.

"I am determined I will" by Himmapaan
Frankly, Persuasion is actually more difficult to read because Austen is a beautifully complex writer.  I have no idea what is happening in Persuasion, but I shall continue on because I know there is something great about it, and I am desperate for something uplifting.

As for 1984, this is my third reading of it: the first time was about thirteen years ago, and the second time was maybe eight or ten years ago.  But both times I am certain I did not understand what I was reading.  This time, it is a completely different experience because now I feel as if I am able to draw an opinion of it, and I find that I am even disagreeing with the author.  Who, Me?  Disagree with the author?  No way! I cannot believe it.

Anyway, I love my WEM blogger companions, but I ate my words and went on ahead.  I am trying to find titles to read in between, but sometimes I am not inspired enough to read anything else. Nonetheless, I still love to read their reviews of the books from the list, and we can still talk about the books we have read.  So be it.

But, yeah, that is my confession: I have not been following the rules, and I ate my words.  That is what I have been up to.

2 comments:

  1. It's okay that you're ahead! If anything you'll have more insightful comments for the rest of us because you'll have had some time to "digest" the books. I confess that with The Stranger I read quickly as well (and scrawled some notes - they are pretty much illegible).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tonia. I am trying to find other books to read in between, but for some reason the books on the WEM list are intriguing. I just finished 1984, too. So now I'll try to take a break and read Persuasion.

      Delete