Friday, August 9, 2013

Fifteen Day Book Blogger Challenge, Day Four

Day Four: What is the last book you flung across the room?

I definitely do not remember throwing or flinging any books, but I know there are a few I would have liked to at some point:

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad: To this day, I still don't get the point of the story.  It was dark and dreary and the entire short story is absolutely ridiculous and deserves to be flung!

Some I would have flung, if I did not get any help reading them:

Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf: Let's just say, Virginia Woolf had some serious issues.  I had to have major intervention to continue on.  Basically, you must change your entire approach to reading Mrs. Dalloway if you want to survive it.

The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy: This one I struggled with on chapter one, and I almost called it quits.  Thomas Hardy wanted to be a poet, and it shows.  Chapter one caused me to stumble because I was not prepared to read poetry, yet; but another blogger stopped me from giving up, and I gave it a second chance.  It was not so bad.

The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James: The Portrait is a frustrating read because of its characters.  One happens to be the most evil man I have ever known, and another I found myself asking, as if she could hear me, "What are you doing?"  It wasn't until the final chapters that it progressed only to end the way you least expected it.

Have you ever thrown a book?  If so, what was it and why?

8 comments:

  1. As I read your post, my grin just got wider and wider. Yes I share those frustrations, maybe not about the same books but I do understand why they made you frustrated. Heart of Darkness took me three reads before it began to make sense; Portrait was such a slog for me and if it wasnt for the fact it was on my course syllabus at the time I would have given up. James just takes so long to say anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I cannot believe you attempted Heart of Darkness three times. I would have given up after the first attempt.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Heart of Darkness, this is the first time I read a book which put in the dark all through the book. If we don't have Google, I'd have certainly given up from the beginning.

    The same with Mrs. Dalloway, but I don't agree with The Portrait of A Lady. It's quite interesting for me, despite of the rather flat plot, maybe because Isabel is similar to me, and I think what makes us look at things differently is just because we come from different background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re. Heart of Darkness: I didn't even bother doing the review questions. I was so glad to be done with it.

      Re. Portrait of a Lady: This is true. But I know that I came to understand that in the end Isabel made her choice, and that was freedom enough for her. So it was acceptable if I looked at it like that.

      Delete
  3. "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini and "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. And while I'm tossing, anything by Ayn Rand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never read the first two, but in college I read The Fountainhead and really enjoyed it. However, that was a long time ago, so I wonder if I read it or another Ayn Rand book if I would have a different opinion.

      Delete
  4. I had to read Heart of Darkness for my B.A., so I forced myself through it. However, I've often thought I would like to give it another try some time, because we discussed some very interesting themes. As for Mrs Dalloway, I was quite surprised that I liked it when I read it last year. I thought it was going to be a struggle, but I ended up being quite interested and taken in with the stream of consciousness (I hated it when I was in college). I also had trouble going past chapter 1 with The Return of the Native back when I was doing my M.A. As it was an optional book, I gave this up and went for the other. However, I really liked Far from the Madding Crowd, so I've decided to give this one more try. YOur comment about how you were persuaded to keep going with it is encouraging. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is surprising to me how many of the books I disliked most are actually required reading in college. When I was at college, I had to read The House of Seven Gables, the only one I did not like, and The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, Night by Eli Wiesel, and Kiefer Boy, which I loved. It would have been interesting to see how I would have survived Heart of Darkness or Mrs. Dalloway if I had to read those in school. I agree that The Return of the Native turned out better after chapter one. I would read that again.

      Delete