Saturday, August 10, 2013

Fifteen Day Book Blogger Challenge, Day Five

Day Five: Recommend a Tear Jerker

I have always loved reading, and devoured books as a child. But my record of reading in general was depleted as I became a teenager and young adult.  While I was required to read classic literature in private grade school, I was not so much in public high school. Therefore, the only tear jerker I remember reading was in Jr. High, which was Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls; even our substitute teacher cried as she read parts of it to the class.

But let us discuss adult literature: In college, I read Kaffier Boy by Mark Mathabane, which deals with apartheid South Africa, and Night by Eli Wiesel, an account of surviving the holocaust; both of these are extremely emotional reads, but I don't think I shed tears.

The Mother's Struggle
However, more recently I re-read Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe, and while the first time I read it I read through it carelessly, this second time I read it  more deeply, and it affected me wholeheartedly as a mother.

Uncle Tom's Cabin was written from a mother's perspective, and it can be read the same way.  Slavery tore families apart: children from their mothers, mothers from their children, in addition to husbands and wives.  It was one thing to be sold as a slave, but it was another to be sold separately from your children.  It was more than just destructive and shameful; it killed a mother's spirit to have her child ripped from her arms.  That is why Eliza risks her own life to get her freedom because she refuses to have her baby boy sold apart from her.


Yes, Uncle Tom's Cabin is a tear jerker for me; and even more so, if you want to read any truth about slavery in the United States, it is the only book you definitely need to read.

How about you?  Have you ever read a tear jerker?

6 comments:

  1. Uncle Tom's Cabin and Where the Red Fern Grows! Excellent tear-jerkers. I should have thought of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I remembered Where the Red Fern Grows made me cry, I think I want to read it to my kids. Even though it is sad, I know it is a good story.

      Delete
  2. I remember I wept too reading Uncle Tom's Cabin.
    If you want a non-classics tear-jerker, try Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes or Vivaldi's Virgins by Barbara Quick. With the later, I wept even from the first chapter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that on your post, and so now I have two books you have recommended that I have to read: Germinal and now this one. (I don't mind tear jerkers.)

      Delete
    2. I think I might re-read Germinal next year for my Zola month, I wish we can read it together...

      Delete
    3. Well, I would be glad to. Just keep me posted when that is.

      Delete