Wednesday, July 17, 2013

An Impromptu Update

Anthony Perkins as Joseph K. in
"The Trial" by Orson Wells
More than two weeks have passed since I have last written, and it will be a few more days before I can write anything about my most recent book, The Trial by Franz Kafka.
For awhile, I had not been able to read much because this has been the craziest summer vacation ever; I have yet to have any "vacation" at all.  In fact, I am still literally waiting for summer vacation to begin.  Yesterday, I just returned from Texas, but now I must get back to my reading schedule.

I will say this: The Trial reminds me a lot like 1984 by George Orwell for its dreary, oppressive atmosphere.  It feels like a bad dream, as opposed to a nightmare, because bad dreams have agonizing and frustrating plots, while a nightmare lacks any plot at all.

Up to this point, I have finished the novel, but Kafka, who never actually finished the story, had written additional sections to the novel that are included at the end of the book called "Fragments," and this is where I am now.  I should finish it today, and afterward I will put together my summaries.  In the following days I will answer the inquiry questions from TWEM.

I am excited to learn that there is a film adaptation of The Trial by the same title directed by Orson Welles, starring Anthony Perkins, and released in 1962.  You can watch it right here on Youtube, although I am going to wait until I am totally done with the book:



In addition to The Trial, I am reading O Pioneers by Willa Cather, of which I have read so many wonderful opinions.  Since I am doing a Little House school year this fall with my children, I am hoping to draw additional inspiration about pioneers in the late 1800s.  This title is not part of TWEM list, but it will count toward my Classics Club list.  This one is taking a little longer because my focus is mostly on The Trial.

Be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment