Thursday, June 27, 2013

An Incomplete for Mrs. Dalloway; Extra Credit for The Hours

Now that Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf is done, I am supposed to answer the questions from The Well-Educated Mind; but in all honesty, I am a little distracted here at home and just grateful to have completed the book.

It was not an interesting read for me, and it will not be on my "to re-read" list any time soon.  I think Mrs. Dalloway is one of those books I would have to read again and maybe a third time in order to get a clearer picture, but that is just not going to happen right now.  Once I learned how to approach it, I was able to follow the changes between the characters' thoughts.  Knowing how to read Mrs. Dalloway helped tremendously, and that is all that mattered to me.  But answering these questions is a lot of work, and I am not willing to put in the effort at this time.  I suppose I shall give myself an "incomplete" for skipping the assignment.

If anything, I came away with a feeling of sympathy for the author, Virginia Woolf, because she suffered from emotional depression.  I wonder if all the voices the characters hear in their heads in the novel, Mrs. Dalloway, are similar to personal experiences Virigina Woolf had in real life.  Before I knew very much about her and began reading the novel, I felt like I was on drugs...(I never did drugs, but I imagine that is what it is like)...I'm just saying.

As for "The Hours," I'll say this: It was a curious way to present the particulars of the novel, Mrs. Dalloway, but the characters had some problems and left me with questions.  OK, I'll give myself extra credit for sitting through "The Hours."  A funny thing: yesterday I took the kids to the beach with a friend of mine who is a second cousin of Michael Cunningham, the author of The Hours, the novel.  Small world.

Anyway, I have to take a break now from TWEM list because the next book, The Trial by Franz Kafka, which I ordered two weeks ago via Amazon.com, would have arrived today, except it wasn't The Trial, but instead Buddhism Plain and Simple. ???  Obviously it was the wrong book.  It happens.  So I am working that out with the seller, and in the meanwhile, I had to order a copy from my library.  Plus, my husband is finally coming home from Asia next week after being gone for three long weeks, and I am so excited that I won't care about reading for a good week or so.  

See you when I get back!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, this was a difficult book to get through! And I agree with your assessment of Virginia Woolf - can't imagine having to deal the problems that afflicted her. Have a restful week off!

    ReplyDelete