Monday, April 22, 2013

Update Concerning Heart of Darkness

Heart of Darkness is done and over with - buried - kaput! or something like that.  While this is not a movie review blog, I did mention in my first post about the title that Francis Ford Coppola's "Apocalypse Now" (1979) was inspired by the book.

Truly, I do not understand how HOD can inspire anything.  It was dark and depressing.  I suppose Oliver DeMille would consider it a broken story: these are stories that portray evil as evil and good as good, and evil wins.  Broken stories are not uplifting, but they can inspire us to change what is not right.  I certainly did not feel inspired by HOD, but I guess Coppola was in some way inspired to make a movie about it.  I don't know if that counts.


Martin Sheen as Capt. Willard
Nonetheless, last week I did watch "Apocalypse Now."  While the setting and characters are different, as well as the ending, there are numerous similarities to HOD, including that the main character heads up the Nung River in Vietnam to assassinate an officer named Kurtz who has gone off independently to run his own war in Cambodia and has become like a god to the local native people.


Dennis Hopper (worships Kurtz)


It was so dark and depressing.  Oh, I said that already.  Truly it was difficult to watch.  And my husband and I totally skipped over the Playboy Bunny scene, too.




Robert Duvall


About the only thumbs up I can give for the film is that it starred many famous actors in their youth, such as Martin Sheen, Robert Duvall, Harrison Ford, Lawrence Fishburne, a hippy Dennis Hopper, and Marlon Brando.  That Robert Duvall character was a hoot. (He won a Golden Globe for this.)

Marlon Brando as Kurtz



Yet, for the life of me, I cannot understand how it received so many stars on the Tomatometer; but the viewers overwhelmingly love "Apocalypse Now."  Then again, I suppose I have always been a little off when it comes to popular opinion.

Post Script: Apparently, the ladies at Classic Case of Madness did the extra credit work, too, and wrote up a review of "Apocalypse Now."  Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment