Thursday, April 4, 2013

Preparing to Digest Heart of Darkness


Usually I am excited about starting the next book on The Well Educated Mind reading list, and this time is no exception.  The next book is Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, and my copy is from Barnes & Noble Classics.  

Since I am completely ignorant about who Joseph Conrad is, I was glad to  read the section about the author.  I learned that he socialized in literary circles, including Henry James, author of The Portrait of a Lady, and Stephen Crane, author of The Red Badge of Courage.  

I also learned that in 1979 Francis Ford Coppola’s Apocalypse Now was inspired by Heart of Darkness.  I never saw the film, but a quick Google search says this:


Apocalypse Now is a 1979 American epic war film set during the Vietnam War, directed and produced by Francis Ford Coppola and starring Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall, and Martin Sheen.

Sounds like a guy flick.  

Looks like I found another rental for movie night with my unsuspecting husband.  (After I finish Heart of Darkness first, of course.)

Join me and the WEMers at Classic Case of Madness as we embark on another journey through the classics.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting. Please tell us how you like the movie. That sounds like something my husband might like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband told me he saw this, but he was very young. I'll let you know how it is.

      Delete
  2. I failed this one... Yes, I did the requirements, but only after consulting sparknotes. Hopefully you'll be more successful than me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw you had posted your inquiries, but I did not want to read them until I read the book myself. We'll see how it turns out.

      Delete
  3. I had to read this in high school. I'm trying to remember the particulars but I can't. I don't remember liking it a whole lot but it was thought provoking and I made it through the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am only a few pages into it, and already I found something I disagree with, which I do not mind; however, I appreciate the writing style and I am anxious to read on.

      Delete
  4. This is quite an astonishing book with some very strong imagery. The opening scene of the boat waiting on the Thames has such a strong Impressionist painting feel. Hope you enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I am. My kids and I are getting ready to study Impressionism in music and art, and I see that Heart of Darkness was written during this period. I suppose it makes sense that literature could also be written in an Impressionist style.

      Delete