Sunday, April 7, 2013

An opinion about The Hobbit from a reader who prefers reality


An Unexpected Morning Visit - Ted Nasmith
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Published 1937



This week I finished The Hobbit.  Rather than give my synopsis of it since you can find about a million reviews out there already, and I am sure mine has already been given, I am going to state that I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Hobbit.  As soon as I began chapter one, I knew instantly that I should be reading it to my young children.

I mean that to be a compliment.

The Riddle Game - Ted Nasmith
The Hobbit was definitely written for children, as well as for the child in all of us.  It is a perfectly written fantasy adventure story.  It is tense and exciting, humorous and amusing.  It is never too frightening, although for a young child I suspect it may seem intense at times.  The main character is extremely agreeable, and it is simple to cheer for him on to the end of the story.  Altogether, The Hobbit was truly enjoyable.  

You must understand that I am not a fantasy-genre reader; I do not gravitate toward fantasy.  I prefer reality - more specifically, non-fiction, histories, and biographies.  Autobiographies are even better. 


Conversations with Smaug - J.R.R. Tolkien
But one day a good friend of mine, who shares my fondness for being a realist, declared to me “Oh! You have got to read The Hobbit.”  Her enthusiasm each time she inquired, “Have you started The Hobbit, yet?” was enough to peak my curiosity.  I had to admit that I was interested, and without any notion of the plot, I bought the four-book set, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy, with the intent to read the entire series.  Even the Barnes & Noble employee was excited about my purchase.  I knew something about it had to be worthy.


Well, my friend was right, as was the Barnes & Noble guy, too.  Now I am going to re-read The Hobbit aloud to my children (ages 4, 5, and 8; my 13 and 17 year olds have already read it), and then we are going to borrow the DVD from my enthusiastic friend who cannot wait for us to become Lord of the Rings fans.


And that is my non-fiction-genre-prefered opinion of the fantasy-loaded-adventure story, The Hobbit.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh that brought back lovely memories! Thank you! I loved The Hobbit. Read it many, many moons ago. Loved to visit Sarehole Mill in Brum, UK as a result (Tolkien used it as inspiration for The Hobbit). Never got to grips with LOTR though. Can't wait to hear what you think of that :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and thanks! I'll have to look into the location you name.

      Others have told me the same about LOTR, too. Well, I do hope I like it.

      Delete
  2. Glad you liked The Hobbit! :) These books have a lot to offer besides the fantasy aspect...on the other hand, LOTR can get really long if you don't like fantasy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that about LOTR, but I probably will give it a try. Right now I am reading The Hobbit out loud to my kids, so maybe I will continue to read LOTR out loud to them, too. They are enjoying The Hobbit.

      Delete