Sunday, January 27, 2013

Coming Soon: My First Mark Twain


The Watermelon Boys - Winslow Homer, 1876
On the cover of my copy of Huckleberry Finn

Admittedly, I have never read Mark Twain.  (I know!)  And so we (he, the American author, and I) meet as I become acquainted with my copy of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.  Already I am amused as I read the Notice on the inside cover:
Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.  BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR, Per G. G., Chief of Ordnance.
Seriously, this is going to be a fun adventure. 

4 comments:

  1. How exciting! There are only a few of his books I haven't read but I've reached the point where I keep going back to reread favorites rather than reading the one's I don't know. I just started Following the Equator again last week, probably my favorite. I seem to like his rambling episodic travel books better than the novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend of mine was just telling me yesterday that she was really enjoying reading about his travels to California even more than his fiction. I think I would really appreciate true accounts of his travels west and abroad. I'll have to put it on the list!

      Delete
  2. I'm looking foward to reading a book that my oldest can read too. It's been a while since we've read a WEM novel with a plot I can share with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I just started it, and in addition to the topic being lighter in nature, I actually caught myself having fun while reading it. After all, the author warns the reader not to take his work too seriously.

      Delete