Monday, December 10, 2012

December Meme for The Classics Club


What is your favorite memory of Dickens’ A Christmas Carol? Have you ever read it? If not, will you? Why should others read it rather than relying on the film adaptions?

A Christmas Carol
Illustrated by P.J. Lynch

I have read A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens three times now, and each time I have read aloud with my children.  (The first time with my fourth grader, but these last two times have been with all five of them.) We just finished this third reading last week, and today we are going to our local library to see an actor portray all forty-six characters while acting out the story. 





Marley
by P.J. Lynch
Last year my husband and I took all our children to see a play version.  Jacob Marley and the Spirit of Things to Come were a little scary for our three- and four- year olds, but we reminded them it was only acting.  This year they wanted to hear the story all over again and look at the pictures.  My copy includes illustrations by P.J. Lynch, and they are beautiful.





Scrooge and the Spirit of Christmas Present
by P.J. Lynch
Do you know I have never watched a film adaptation? But my kids have been asking me to get one, so that is next on my list to do in order to continue the tradition of keeping A Christmas Carol in our lives.   I believe in reading the written word first before seeing a film or play adaptation because the word is the original form.  Films and plays usually are rewritten or changed for whatever reason, and sometimes they are just interpreted differently.  But I do like watching film versions of the books I have read, although, I admit, sometimes I am disappointed.  

Spirit of Christmas Future
by P.J. Lynch
My favorite memory of A Christmas Carol is the final chapter after all the Spirits have left Scrooge, and he realizes he has a second chance; boy, does he make good on his promise!  All is bleak until he wakes up and learns for certain that he has been given this opportunity, and he does not waste a minute to mend his ways.  


5 comments:

  1. It sounds silly, but the Mupper version of "A Christmas Carol" is actually quite enjoyable. My daughter was just saying tonight how there are parts of the movie that make her cry every time she watches it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it! We're watching Muppet's version tonight. I have never seen it, and I know the kids are going to love it, especially my four- and five year olds.

      Delete
  2. I have seen the play and many different versions in movie form. I started reading it out loud to my children 2 weeks ago, but alas, like all other books, I didn't finish it yet =( I am terrible read aloud lady. I still want to finish it this year. The story in the book says the ghosts will come on different nights, but all the plays and movies have the ghosts come on the same night. I am interested to see how it turns out! My children watch the Muppet version most. WE should have a Muppet Christmas Carol party =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a chapter a day, which took me five days - right? So you can do it!!!

      Did your kids like the guy at the library? He memorized 70 minutes of the book and acted it out. He was amazing! He also does Edgar Allan Poe AND Albert Einstein. We should have him do our final component. I'll check that out.

      That always confused me about them coming on different nights, but it all happens in one night.

      Delete
  3. I can't remember ever watching a full-length rendition of A Christmas Carol either, but I'm not sure why. I've always liked the story....

    My December meme

    ReplyDelete